May 11, 2024, 06:08:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Technical Help  (Read 70906 times)
Jwnix

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »

appreciate the offer, and I'm not going to use PB. 
thanks for the help....

Josephine
willpatt

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »

Problem here it seems like: At the bottom of page 4, if I click "Next", I get shuffled to another topic: "Re: Forum tips, tricks and general discussion". Strange puzzled2.  Then if I click "Next or "Previous"(forgot which) at the bottom of that topic, I get returned to page 5 of "Forum Technical Help" puzzled2

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts, Lori and DEF.  I'm not sure if this thread is the right place (or if we really have a place for discussions like this) - but speaking as a member who does have a personal website, I had not really thought about the pros and cons.

In recent years I've copied any photos I use to my website, after revisiting my early threads and seeing that half of the pictures I carefully picked to show the development of chicks at a couple of nests had been replaced with little "file not found" boxes.  I always give credit - and am making an effort to have clear permission to post the pictures and s'caps on my website, though I have work to do there.

I don't have an especially active website - and do have a fair amount of bandwidth - so it's never been a problem.  The pages that are visited the most are my summaries of dates, and they're text pages.  But I can see the logic to putting an especially interesting photo on PB and linking to it there when I post on a forum.

Bee

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2010, 12:39:33 AM »

I know it is here somewhere but I can't find it.  How do you add an avatar?  puzzled2

"All of us are God's creatures...just some are more creature than others." (Anonymous Author)
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2010, 02:21:58 AM »

Will, the next and previous links are for next and previous topics. If you want to go from one pag of the same topic to another the numbers of the pages available are on the bottom left.

To add an Avatar, Bee you need to click on "Profile" a button which is nearly at the top of every page. Once you are there, you will see some more links on the left side of the page one of which is Forum Profile information. On the right is a button called Browse - this is how you search your own computer for the picture you want to use. It should be small, about 80 x 80 pixels, I think, but if it is larger I think the Forum software reduces it.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
willpatt

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2010, 11:07:21 AM »

Will, the next and previous links are for next and previous topics. If you want to go from one pag of the same topic to another the numbers of the pages available are on the bottom left.

Thankyou Laurad bigsmile I think the word "Topics" should be there to indicate to everyone what Previous and Next are for thumbsup1

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »

Yes, I agree Will, but we didn't write the software for this Forum.

Much of it is customisable, some of it easily done, other things take hours of investigations and then modifications. Then we have to worry about what happens to all the modifications should we need to upgrade at any time. I think there are a lot of really nice features about this Forum software, it's nice from an Admins point of view and I think also for users, like yourself.

There are bound to be things that don't make sense or that are hard to find, but it takes a little while to get used to things, so I hope that won't bother you too much not seeing the word "topic" in the link. I know it foxed me the first time I clicked on it also - to me it seems a rather pointless link to have at all. Maybe one day when we're doing some other modifications we can tackle that one also. Each one takes a long time to do.

Bee

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »

To add an Avatar, Bee you need to click on "Profile" a button which is nearly at the top of every page. Once you are there, you will see some more links on the left side of the page one of which is Forum Profile information. On the right is a button called Browse - this is how you search your own computer for the picture you want to use. It should be small, about 80 x 80 pixels, I think, but if it is larger I think the Forum software reduces it.

Thank you Laura, if it had been a ..... it would have bit me!  Can you stand one more dumb question, how do you add color to your signature line?

"All of us are God's creatures...just some are more creature than others." (Anonymous Author)
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2010, 02:33:04 AM »

Bee - you need to add the same tags as you would when creating a post. In other words, if you want it to be purple, you highlight the word, then choose purple from the menu. If you look closely at the code, you will see [ color=purple] purple [ /color]. The words between the square brackets are what makes the text have a color. My example has spaces which you must remove - I only put them there so it wouldn't create purple text. Hope this helps.

Bee

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »

Well Laura, dummy here can't find the 'code' in the profile section.  Want to come across the pond and point it out on my 'puter?  It is a beautiful, sunny day here and my friends in northern England are complaining about their weather.  shrug

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

Bee, I'd love to come and help   mhihi but you'll work it out before I get there. You have to manually type this in without the space next to the square brackets:-

[ color=purple] put my signature line here [ /color]

That's all, just type that and whatever text you want in the signature. Remember to have no spaces between the [ and the word "color" and again no space between [ and "/color]

CLC

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »

If you want to give someone a string of code, you do not have to put spaces and explain what you did.. nono2 Just type or paste the code you want to show. Then highlight it. Then click the # icon (its reads insert code when you hover) just above this guys head  rant2 and it will come out like this..  wink2

this   put my signature line here becomes

this
Code:
[color=purple] put my signature line here [/color]

Then it can be double/tripple (depends on browser used) clicked and copied bigsmile

Sir Lance  All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »

I knew that..  mhihi I was just being very, very lazy  blush2

ETA:  Just re-reading this.. I'm not sure what you meant by "Then it can be double/tripple (depends on browser used) clicked and copied"..  puzzled2

chipmunk

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2010, 07:01:14 AM »

I recently had my computor updated to IE 7 or 8 and a lot of other things by my nephew.  One thing that is causing a problem is updating my pages.  After reading the last page of any thread, I just saved in my fav's and when I opened the thread it would take me to that last page.  Now it doesn't and I have to mark down the page number so I'll know what page I had read.  When I save to fav's now it opens up another thread of the same name.

Also what happened to "remember my password"?  I have to type in my password every time I sign in. puzzled2  Tks.
CLC

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2010, 07:30:57 AM »

In this forum if you go to the Home Page and look for the topic you want and look to the far right arrow you will see something like this;
Last post by chipmunk
in Re: Forum Technical Help
on Today at 09:01:14 AM

in the last block.  If you click this part Re: Forum Technical Help
on Today at 09:01:14 AM
it will not bring you to the last post if there has been 10 posts or pages rolleyes2 since you were last there. nono2 It will bring you to the last post you read. nod2 So you really don't have to save it each time you finish wink2..

As for the password there should be a drop down menu where you can pick how long to stay signed in when you sign in.. nod2

Hope this helps

Sir Lance  All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten
Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: