April 28, 2024, 12:51:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Technical Help  (Read 70429 times)
Jwnix

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »

NOTIFY is indeed now showing up and working.  THANKS !!!!
I am trying to "teach" computer to NOT send the notifications to SPAM.  I've put the WOW address info in address book. any other ideas? 

Could some of you please take a look at a page when you're looking at a topic or thread and see if there is a "notify" button top and bottom right of the window. It might say

Reply   Notify   Mark unread  etc.

The "notify" button should be there, but doesn't seem to be visible for a few people, maybe everyone?

ETA: I "think" I've solved it - two options in the Control Panel:

Notifications   
  Request notification on replies 
  Request notification on new topics

I've checked the both, so hopefully this will solve this particular problem  nod2

Josephine
CLC

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »

Jwnix Try right clicking the email and look through the list to see if you can find add to safe senders list or similar .. Not sure what email you have .. Undecided

Sir Lance  All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten
Jwnix

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 09:27:48 PM »

using MAIL, Apple's mail server..... will look up spam rules on line. good idea

Jwnix Try right clicking the email and look through the list to see if you can find add to safe senders list or similar .. Not sure what email you have .. Undecided

Josephine
JudyB2

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 04:48:51 AM »

The aforegoing discussion about font size reminded me of how difficult it is to read the right-hand column of Last Posts in the index.  The biggest problem is that the repetition of the name of the thread is distracting and unnecessary and is in the same tiny, light blue print on a non-contrasting smokey background as the poster's name which makes the person's name hard to see.
The font size and color does seem like one of those things that will take some poking around in the templates and/or style sheets - a good suggestion, but not likely a quick fix.

I will mention that the name of the thread isn't necessarily unnecessary - many of our topics here only have one thread, but there are quite a few that have a couple of threads, and that tiny link lets you go to the thread with the newest post.  The Woolwich osprey cam has two - one for the cam (fingers crossed) and a second for pictures from the site; same with Milford osprey cam; Delta BC Eagle Cams has a thread for Delta 1 (primarily a link to the old forum as there's no cam this year) and Delta OWL, and we're hoping for a Delta 2 cam soon; Captive Bald Eagles has threads for the Carolina Raptor Center and for Pigeon Forge.

We will work on the readability issues - but I did want to mention that there is a reason for the link to the thread - though perhaps it's not important enough to take up space there.
Doralyn

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 05:40:34 AM »

Judy B, thanks for the "go up" and "go down" buttons. Perfect, and for addressing the possibility of making the Last Post column more readable.

I really want to thank all of the Administrators for keeping up with the past three days and working on the tough issues. nod2  Thanks for also reassuring us that our suggestions are noted and on your lists.  I hope you will all be able to keep up with your own lives too, so waiting for solutions in the future is easy to do. bow5 biggergrin2

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »

Thank you Doralyn and yes, we will work through the list as and when we can. Some things are just a simple tick box in the Admin area - others involved programming the PHP files and stylesheets... much more complicated and time-consuming.

I've installed a new modification which I think everyone will like - it give a little dropdown box where the page numbers show on the top of a thread/topic - you can skip to which ever page you want very easily. This would have been a great feature on the phpBB Forum with our thousands of observation pages!

By the way, if you find the Index page is just toooooooo long..  :eeek: you can shrink and collapse the main categories... did everyone know that?

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Jwnix

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »

AMAZING progress..... you are amazing folks tweaking and hand holding through this transition!!!  the drop down box feature is a brilliant addition!! 
I did find how to "collapase" the main categories and that makes it so lovely to make the index page more manageable.
and lastly, I AM getting notifications delivered to my IN box....
thanks again for all that you are doing!!!

Thank you Doralyn and yes, we will work through the list as and when we can. .......

I've installed a new modification which I think everyone will like - it give a little dropdown box where the page numbers show on the top of a thread/topic - you can skip to which ever page you want very easily. This would have been a great feature on the phpBB Forum with our thousands of observation pages!

By the way, if you find the Index page is just toooooooo long..  :eeek: you can shrink and collapse the main categories... did everyone know that?

Josephine
willpatt

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »

Good afternoon bigsmile I see my notifications are now working thumbsup1 In fact they are working "overtime", too many now. One would be enough to let me know that someone posted but I got about 8, one for each person that posted. Can that be fixed question

Laurad wrote: "you can shrink and collapse the main categories... did everyone know that?"

No, I didn't know that nope In fact I don't have a clue what shrinking and collapsing categories is puzzled2 Tell me all about it sometime dunno

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
Jwnix

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »

In your profile section,  there is an option to only be notified once for reply instead of each reply......also, if you look in the HELP tab of your profile, there are specific instructions for some of the cool features they've added.

re; collapsing the topic..... look to the left of the topic line in blue,,  and there is +  or  -    symbol.  if its the  -, and you click it, that topic will collapse and you are only looking at the name of the topic.  to look at the threads again, just click the + and it will ADD threads to your viewing field.

Josephine
CLC

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »

Will on the front page or index page you can collapse each main title for instance hit the minus sign before welcome  and this ..
Welcome!
  Forum Guidelines and Information & Tech Help
How to use the various features of the forum software and some posting guidelines. Technical help with WMP, RP, screenshots, videos, etc...  39 Posts
2 Topics  Last post by willpatt
in Re: Forum Technical Help
on Today at 02:59:40 PM  
  Daily Friendly Chat, Creative & Information Topic
Daily chat and also a place to post anything creative and informative.  115 Posts
1 Topics  Last post by Lori
in Re: Daily Friendly Chat,...
on Today at 02:08:23 PM  

Becomes this...
 Welcome!
the only draw back is you can't see if there are any new posts..

willpatt

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »

Thankyou Jwnix and Chris bigsmile I found the + and - signs and they do something but not a whole lot that I can see as yet.

This though: "Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.", up there at the top really expanded things into topics I had not seen for awhile. "Technical Help" was not there for some reason puzzled2

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
Jwnix

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 02:03:43 PM »

It takes the system a few moments to collapse the topic so you might not notice it right away.  I wondered what the symbols were there for and discovered this feature quite by accident.  now my whole index page fits on one screen, and I can open whichever cam/topic I wish to look at.....

I found the + and - signs and they do something but not a whole lot that I can see as yet.

Josephine
willpatt

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »

That - and + sign is working in a split second for me but it does nearly nothing rant2 All it does with this topic for example is take out the header with my avatar in it. Must be something wrong in my profile I suppose puzzled2

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
CLC

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »

Will there is a + & - sign for each category as well as the one for the header with your avatar. nod2 Scroll down to the North American Osprey Cams and click the minus sign.. wink2

willpatt

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 10:59:34 PM »

Thankyou Chris bigsmile Now I know what the - and + does...although I don't yet see why I would want to go around closing everything down. I need to see what's in there for now. Handy to know about it though 8)

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: