May 02, 2024, 08:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Technical Help  (Read 70506 times)
whippets84

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »

Has anyone addressed an issue I'm having....I see that it is "mandatory" to have your e-mail address on your profile and as in the past, I assumed that checking the box saying "do not show to public (or words to that effect) would keep it off the board.  However, I'm seeing my e-mail address on-screen on the discussion threads and also the Members Section, so perhaps it's not working all the time?Huh??  I'm used to having my e-mail only show to Administrators....

Thanks!

Carol

Carol
Doralyn

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »

Has anyone addressed an issue I'm having....I see that it is "mandatory" to have your e-mail address on your profile and as in the past, I assumed that checking the box saying "do not show to public (or words to that effect) would keep it off the board.  However, I'm seeing my e-mail address on-screen on the discussion threads and also the Members Section, so perhaps it's not working all the time?Huh??  I'm used to having my e-mail only show to Administrators....

Thanks!

Carol
Yes, we have, Carol.  It's easiest to just tell you.  I just checked your Profile and it says "hidden" and the Memberlist and it does NOT show an email envelope icon.  So you have successfully hidden your email.  Only you can see it in your Profile, and only you will have an icon showing in the Member List, neither are visible to anyone else.  In the Account Related Settings area under your Profile, you should also see the dark check mark saved in the box next to "hide email address".

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
whippets84

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »

Has anyone addressed an issue I'm having....I see that it is "mandatory" to have your e-mail address on your profile and as in the past, I assumed that checking the box saying "do not show to public (or words to that effect) would keep it off the board.  However, I'm seeing my e-mail address on-screen on the discussion threads and also the Members Section, so perhaps it's not working all the time?Huh??  I'm used to having my e-mail only show to Administrators....

Thanks!

Carol
Yes, we have, Carol.  It's easiest to just tell you.  I just checked your Profile and it says "hidden" and the Memberlist and it does NOT show an email envelope icon.  So you have successfully hidden your email.  Only you can see it in your Profile, and only you will have an icon showing in the Member List, neither are visible to anyone else.  In the Account Related Settings area under your Profile, you should also see the dark check mark saved in the box next to "hide email address".

Thanks!  Wanna just make sure you're saying what it sounds like you're saying:  In the Discussion Board, I can see all my icons (PMs, E-mail and Profile)...and you're saying that I'm the only one who can see these, correct?

Carol
Dutch Eagle Fan

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »

<<<SNIP>>>In the Discussion Board, I can see all my icons (PMs, E-mail and Profile)...and you're saying that I'm the only one who can see these, correct?
That'correct Carol. I can not see your email address anywhere. So you have the right settings.  bigsmile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

Dutch Peregrine Falcon forum
birdofprey

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »

investigate2 I can't see it either, Carol. thumbsup1
Doralyn

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »

Thanks!  Wanna just make sure you're saying what it sounds like you're saying:  In the Discussion Board, I can see all my icons (PMs, E-mail and Profile)...and you're saying that I'm the only one who can see these, correct?
Carol, no one can see your email address, or any PM's you send or receive, but we can all see each other's Profile Summary if we click on a name.  HOWEVER, your Profile Summary does not contain your email addtess, it says "hidden". bigsmile

I hope this is reassuring.

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »

whippets84 - everyone who replied is correct - only you and Admins can see your profile in it's entirety, inlcuding the email address.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Barbara

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »

Whippet84, welcome to our forum.  We were all worried about that at first but soon found that our fears were unfounded.

Barbara
whippets84

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »

Thanks to all who responded....thought so, but wanted to be sure.  Very nice new board, people!!! clap1 thumbsup1

Carol
Jwnix

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »

moving picture discussion here from the delicious pavlova page....

I put url between the brackets, but nothing seems to show in the preview, except what I put there.....I'm missing a step it seems?

ETA:  this is the URL of the page that i put between those brackets, no spaces, and nothing showed up.....I think there is one more step that I am not doing....

http://www.google.com/images?q=pavlova&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Ep_qTK_-O4L68AaaxPDJDA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDgQsAQwAg&biw=1419&bih=672

Josephine
Lori

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »

'formally" yes, I do have a PB account which I have used 2 times and found it so convoluted, I have not used it again.

Yes, you have seen screenshots I've posted on HWF.....just hadn't figured out this system here.  I did a screenshot of the pic above and it landed on my desktop.  and then I couldn't get it to the forum . it doesn't have a url.  thanks for your suggestions here as well.  where is the "browse" button which allows me to select the image from my desktop? actually, I'll move this discussion over to technical.
so as not to bore the recipe collectors here..... ;-)

Bringing this over from chat. I'll try to explain a bit better.
Any picture posted on the internet always has a URL address and it usually ends with .jpg but some are using other extensions now. You don't have to save the picture at all on your computer.

Right click 'on' the picture and at the bottom you'll see 'properties'. Click on that.
Then you'll see this:

Copy the URL Address.
Click the button above that looks like the picture (next to YouTube) and you'll get this:  [ img][/img ]
(Again, I had to insert spaces to make the example show)

Put the picture URL in between the 2 ][ and make sure that there aren't any spaces.
EX: [ IMG]http://wonkothesane.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Pavlova1.jpg[/IMG ]  (I added the spaces again)

Preview your post and you should see your picture. wink2
Give it a try and if it doesn't work I'll be able to see what's missing.
Dutch Eagle Fan

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »

I would to like to add some remarks to the message above if I may.

Simply copying the URL of an image you find on the Internet and paste it here in your message is not a good idea. It is called "Hot linking" and most sites and their owners will not allow it or will not be pleased if you do.
With "hot linking" you "steal" their bandwidth and it may even result in their site (temporarily) being blocked. The only proper way to link to an image is to upload the image to your own image-host and get the link from there.

Lori

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »

Sometimes DEF but I have plenty of people that hotlink my pics and I don't mind. mhihi

On the other hand, if you take someone's pic and host it in your account as your own and post it, that can be worse. nono1
Dutch Eagle Fan

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:36 AM »

If your pictures are on Photobucket or Imageshack, it is less of a problem I think. nod2
But I wouldn't want people to hot-link an image from my own website, it could get me in trouble with my provider.  wink2

Lori

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »

Josephine .. The link you posted is the whole search page loaded with pics of pavlovas, not a single picture link.
I don't want to cause any issues so I'll help you with Photobucket and posting pics via PM if you would like. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.
Judy, JudyB or Laura, feel free to delete my posts.
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: