April 18, 2024, 11:59:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum tips, tricks and general discussion  (Read 31794 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:56 AM »

You're welcome and I removed the post.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Lori

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »

Laura ..  I have been meaning to ask if we are going to get the option back to delete a post like we used to have on the old forum when we made a boo boo. Does this new software offer that?
CLC

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:14 AM »

I am a member on another forum with this same software. On that forum there is a "X Remove" button next to "Quote" and "Modify".  nod2 On this forum you can see that same button in your PMs.. bigsmile

Sir Lance  All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »

Lori and Chris, I'm still learning my way around the software, but it looks as if Delete is part of the moderator toolkit.  This is something we're looking into, but for now, if you need to remove a post, you can edit out the contents and leave the word "delete" there in its place and let one of us know.

Members can't delete posts on the Hancock forum (and can only edit them for five days), and I just checked and members can't delete posts on the CHIL forum.  I don't have time to look at the other forums where I'm a member right now, but we're certainly not alone in this.  bigsmile

Dutch Eagle Fan

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »

On almost any forum I come, the users can not remove their posts, only edit or modify and sometimes not even that.
One should always be careful with editing or deleting the contents of the posted message, especially when others have already responded to it.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

Dutch Peregrine Falcon forum
Doralyn

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »

This tip came from Chris/CLC over on the other forum a couple of years ago.  Thanks, Chris nod2  I'm posting it here so we will all have this easy formula at our fingertips bigsmile

Chris's button formula for a hyperlink

Chris's instructions:

I placed an asterisk * in the first set of brackets so you could see it, otherwise it would be a link. If you replace the word LINK with your link and the word button with what you want it to say, you now have a button. The first one will be bold print and the second normal.

[*url=LINK][*b]BUTTON[/b][/url]

[*url=LINK]BUTTON[/url]

But take out the *'s

Example:
[*url=http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=greencashew&p=r][*b]My Youtube Videos[/b][/url]

Adding to Chris's instructions:
If you don't want the button to be in bold, leave out the [*b][*/b].
If you want the button to be in another color use [*color=blue][*/color]

Here is a button I created for a post this morning, first with *'s to make it visible, and then a true link:

[*url=http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/checklist][*color=teal]this link[/color][/url]

this link

ETA:  After reading DEF's tip below, this is how I could have shown the button hyperlink without changing it or adding the *'s, by using the # attribute (roll over it and it says "Insert Code") from the menu above the Reply/message screen bigsmile

Code:
[url=http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/checklist][color=teal]this link[/color][/url]

Thank you, Ingrid nod2

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
Dutch Eagle Fan

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »

This tip came from Chris/CLC over on the other forum a couple of years ago.  Thanks, Chris nod2  I'm posting it here so we will all have this easy formula at our fingertips bigsmile

Chris's button formula for a hyperlink

Chris's instructions:

I placed an asterisk * in the first set of brackets so you could see it, otherwise it would be a link. If you replace the word LINK with your link and the word button with what you want it to say, you now have a button. The first one will be bold print and the second normal.

[*url=LINK][*b]BUTTON[/b][/url]

[*url=LINK]BUTTON[/url]

But take out the *'s

Example:
[*url=http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=greencashew&p=r][*b]My Youtube Videos[/b][/url]

Adding to Chris's instructions:
If you don't want the button to be in bold, leave out the [*b][*/b].
If you want the button to be in another color use [*color=blue][*/color]

Here is a button I created for a post this morning, first with *'s to make it visible, and then a true link:

[*url=http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/checklist][*color=teal]this link[/color][/url]

this link

Another tip:
If you want to show how a certain code is used, put it inside the code-tag. It's the button with the #, second row, third from the right.
Code:
[url=http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/checklist][color=teal]this link[/color][/url]

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

Dutch Peregrine Falcon forum
diane in ohio

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 02:30:01 AM »

ok .. i'm new ... and stupid it appears .. but when i post a reply, how do i refresh the page to see additional replies before the message gets sent .. if you would please message me an answer it would help me remember ... many thanks!!
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 03:04:28 AM »

Hello diane in ohio. You can scroll down the page to see previous posts that were there before you created your post, but the only way to see any replies that were posted in the meantime, while you were creating your post is if and when you get a message appear above your post saying that there have been one or more posts since you created your post. This message will only appear when you click on the "post" button, not before. Your own message will not be posted until you have had a chance to scroll down once more, in which case this time you will see posts that were entered since you began yours, and you can then decide whether to continue to post your message or amend it before posting it.

Once you have finally decided and provided no one posted again in the meantime, the "post" button will ensure your message gets posted to the Forum.

I hope this makes sense. If you were to try and refresh the page when you were in the middle of creating a post, you will lose what you have written, so be careful.

morning

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »

Question, if you stay logged in forever does it look like you are logged in forever or when you are no longer on here does my name disappear till I come back?

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:00 AM »

Staying logged in forever means that you don't have to keep entering your username and password each time you visit the Forum and wish to post. We are not quite sure of the exact time that you will remain on the "online" list once you close your browser windows, even if you don't sign out, but we thought it might have been 10 or 15 minutes. We're not sure though - you would have to experiment with another user to get them to see if you appear on the list once you close the window or once you log out.

morning

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 05:15:38 AM »

Thanks................I will simply stay logged in forever mhihi
Lori

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 06:42:12 AM »

Something new has just been added to YouTube. On my videos it now recognizes our forum as the place where the video can be found. Just noticed it today. It's not on all of them though. Can't figure it out.  puzzled2

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 06:50:59 AM »

Wow, that's very interesting!

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »

Lori, does it make a difference if you use the "YouTube" button to embed the video as opposed to using a link the way you would on forums that don't have that option?  I'm thinking the button might write back to the YouTube site to say where the video is.

Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: