March 29, 2024, 08:45:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum tips, tricks and general discussion  (Read 31648 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« on: November 19, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »

Please use this area to add comments, tips, tricks and general discussion about the Forum. Add any "wish lists" also for modifications, smileys or anything else. We can then discuss and see if things can be implemented. Sometimes the solutions and modifications are simple and sometimes they can take hours of research and implementation, so if your particular wish is not acted upon immediately, please be patient and we will look into it.  bigsmile

It has been suggested that our real names be added to our signatures. I think this is a great idea and have added mine already, not that it's very different from my username.  mhihi This is of course a matter of personal choice, like adding your location to your profile settings also.

We're happy to add smileys also, but to not increase the animated ones too much as they can be an irritant to a lot of people. We also want to keep them as small as possible and to ask that they are not repeated too much in a post other than in the friendly chat areas.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Barbara

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »

Laura, I added my signature at the bottom of the post.  I really enjoyed seeing where everyone comes from but if they don't want to disclose that, I understand.   bigsmile  You ladies have all done a wonderful job with this forum, thank you again.

Barbara
Doralyn

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »

I posted the following over on our old forum, in Moving the Forum:

When we were discussing the move I posted this and I still think it is a good idea.  If the unthinkable happened for any amount of time, the back up thread for most needed cams at that time could be quickly unlocked and used, and then the posts could be easily transfered to our new forum to keep the sequence going.  I know I'm assuming the administrators can lock and unlock at any time.

Part of my post from p. 5, Oct. 28, of the Moving the Forum thread:

I think the plan to make this our back-up forum makes a lot of sense.  We are up about 98.5% of the time now, so the chances of them being both down at once are negligible.  That way we don't have to contend with problems and the cumbersome nature of another forum system, or of losing it like we did our back-up...posts need to be made ...to keep us available...we...do that.

...I would think that when the closings happen, a new thread [designated back-up] for the individual cams would be appropriate at that time, and they could be locked... 

...then when a problem at the new forum occurred and we needed to come here, those locked [back-up] threads could be opened [quickly] for back-up temporarily by the administrators.  One of the three seem to...be available now, so as soon as there is a need, the first one on the site could do that.

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »

Let me make sure I understand the suggestion - it's been one of those weeks!

Are you recommending that it this forum goes off-line for more than the 15-20 minutes once or twice a year that's been my experience with it, the plan would be that the first admin available would unlock the threads on the old forum for those nests with significant activity, so people could record activity there while waiting for the new forum to come back online?

If so, I think that makes a lot of sense - but I'm afraid I do have to mention that "and then the posts could be easily transferred to our new forum" isn't quite true.  Even if we were using the same software, there's no way I know to copy or move a post from one forum to another; they can only be moved within a forum, assuming the software allows that.  We would need to copy the posts one at a time from the old forum to the new forum.

Doralyn

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »

Let me make sure I understand the suggestion - it's been one of those weeks!

Are you recommending that it this forum goes off-line for more than the 15-20 minutes once or twice a year that's been my experience with it, the plan would be that the first admin available would unlock the threads on the old forum for those nests with significant activity, so people could record activity there while waiting for the new forum to come back online?

If so, I think that makes a lot of sense - but I'm afraid I do have to mention that "and then the posts could be easily transferred to our new forum" isn't quite true.  Even if we were using the same software, there's no way I know to copy or move a post from one forum to another; they can only be moved within a forum, assuming the software allows that.  We would need to copy the posts one at a time from the old forum to the new forum.
Yes, Judy, that was my suggestion, when there is a long enough break to warrant it, opening those threads with "significant" activity makes sense to me.  As for copying it over, I understand what you mean, although it is easy for the original poster to do that.  And, if they chose to do that right away when the new forum came back, they could if it was left unlocked for a day.

Posting a link on the new forum to the intervening hours or days would then be useful, and a link back to the new forum also for a relatively seamless read. bigsmile  In the event of a long down time, of course, this would really be the only way.  Members can always being things of great significance over at any time for comment and discussion when appropriate.

Doralyn

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »

I noticed today that 6 people have joined the old forum this week.  Is membership still open over there question

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »

Doralyn, very observant of you, thanks for noticing and pointing it out. I have left a message for Judy about this - she is the one who has been accepting or rejecting members, so I am not sure what the situation is. They may have "registered" but she has to accept them as members before they can post.

jimmy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »

puzzled2 OK I give up how do you get rid of the envelope next to your name on the members list  rant2   And I love the new smileys 
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:30:52 PM »

Hi jimmy - and welcome!  bigsmile

I'm 99.99% certain that only you and the admins (Judy, Laurad and me) can see the envelope beside your name.  It is confusing (and a bit silly because not many members will be sending themselves emails) - but everyone can see their own envelope - and not anyone else's, unless that person has gone into their profile and unchecked the "hide my email" box.

Hope this helps!

CLC

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »

binocs  nono2 Jimmy your envelopes not showing.. lol

Sir Lance  All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten
jimmy

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »

Ok and thanks bigsmile
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »

You're welcome Jimmy and welcome to the Forum.

hermit

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:54:56 AM »

I feel stupid asking this, but how do you delete a post?  I posted something in the wrong thread the other day, and couldn't figure out how to delete it.   puzzled2

Could this smiley be added?   
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 03:59:12 AM »

The only way to delete is perhaps to edit/modify the post by removing the text and then just leaving a note asking an Admin to remove the post. Let me know where it is and I'll remove it.
happy

hermit

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 04:33:14 AM »

Thanks, Laura.  It's in the National Zoo Panda Cam thread.  And thank you for adding this:   happy
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: