October 25, 2014, 04:28:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19.
First hatch observed April 23. Second hatch April 24. June 21, Little passed away. July 9, Big ME-5 fledged

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barton Cove Eagle Cam  (Read 8523 times)
Sherri

« on: November 13, 2010, 05:44:36 AM »

This nest is located at Barton’s  Cove on the Connecticut River,  in Gill, MA

The nest had a web cam for several years but on Sunday, July 27th, 2008, the pine tree that held the original nest blew over during a passing storm. It was confirmed by Massachusetts Fish and Wildlife that the eagle pair rebuilt their nest at a new location in a red oak tree 100 feet west of the old nest.
An attempt to set up a new cam was made in 2010 but they had technical problems and couldn’t get it going before the nesting season.  They are in hopes of having a cam on the nest again for the 2011 season.

Link to website for history of the nest.  It is very interesting and has many photos, including some of the banding of the chick from the 2010 season.
http://www.firstlightpower.com/eagles/default.asp

Sharon Feeney lives close to the area of the nest and a couple of us (Joanne and I) have met with her over the last couple years during the season to take photos.  Whether we have a cam or not next season, we will be out there so we have a separate photo thread.
We are hoping that anyone who lives close enough to join us next season will do so…….all are welcome and it is great fun!  Smiley

Sharon frequently goes over to the Cove in between our visits to check on the pair and comes back with great reports to fill us in on their activity.  Thanks Sharon!

Link to the history that we have recorded on our previous forum:
http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6309&mforum=tdbc#6309
Sherri

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »

** Reserved **
Sherri

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:01:17 AM »

** Reserved **
hollehunny

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »

I really miss seeing the eggs hatch and the baby eaglets. I used to watch every spring. Are they going to put up another camera at all?  It used to be such an adventure to see  the eagles in live time.
Sherri

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:39:55 AM »

Hi hollehunny....welcome to our forum.  bigsmile
We all miss the cam as well. 
Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find anyone to give us an update.
cutloose

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »

Hello, My name is William Dean. I have a website where I post many photos of Eagles only. I monitor the Barton Cove nest, a Quabbin Reservoir nest and the Wachusett Reservoir nest. Here is the web address "cutloosewildlife.com". I also have video of the Eaglets from this past year at all 3 nests.. One of the Eaglets did not survive at Barton Cove. I currently have a photo exhibit going on through the end of April at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Regional location in Hadley , Ma. Please leave an email and let me know how you enjoy the website.     Thank You,  Mr. dean
PattiO

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »

Welcome William!  And thank you!!  I've only looked through a few of the Bartons Cove pictures - but they are all beautiful!!

Here's a clickable link to William's site ... http://squidmon.smugmug.com/2010EagleGalleries
Sherri

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »

Welcome to our forum, William (cutloose).....glad you joined!  nod2

Sharon, Joanne and I are quite familiar with your website and check often to see if you have been over there.  bigsmile
The three of us make on site visits as well......unfortunately haven't had a chance to get there recently.
Your website is wonderful!!  clap1

Have you been to Barton's since your last entry?  ..... they should have eggs now.
cutloose

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »

I was up to barton cove yesterday and got some great pictures. The female was in and out of nest. No eggs yet. As a matter of fact I photographed the pair copulating on the pine tree on top of island. So if they do have eaglets this year they may be late. I'll get the photos up on my site soon. I was also up to Quabbin with some good photos of Eagles on deer carcasses. Thank You for letting me know you enjoy my site. Sometime this year if you see a  Silver PT Cruiser with vanity plates that say "EGLMAN", thats me. Don't hesitate to say hi. Also my photos are currently on exhibit at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife building in Hadley Ma. through the end of April. Thanks again.
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »

Wonderful pictures, William - I wish Hadley wasn't so far away!

I haven't joined the group that occasionally visits the Barton's Cove nest - but I am hoping to make a visit sometime this spring.

I am hoping that the camera might magically appear at some point - but if it doesn't, it's good to know that someone is keeping an eye on the nest.  And if it does - we always learn so much more about a nest when we can have a cam plus the perspective from the ground!  Thank you for posting and telling us about your website!

Sherri

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »

William, your latest photos are terrific!  clap1....how lucky you were to catch the mating.
Hope we mieet up with you one day at Barton's Cove......thanks for identifying yourself.

......and JudyB, sure hope you will be able to join us!!  nod2 bigsmile
JMT

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:02:41 AM »

I was also up to Quabbin with some good photos of Eagles on deer carcasses. Thank You for letting me know you enjoy my site. Sometime this year if you see a  Silver PT Cruiser with vanity plates that say "EGLMAN", thats me. Don't hesitate to say hi. Also my photos are currently on exhibit at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife building in Hadley Ma. through the end of April. Thanks again.

I was at Quabbin also twice last week, The nest has had 2 eagles on it both my visit there. I was hoping they would come down to the carcass while I was there but they didn't.

Your pictures are fabulous! I also monitor, barton, quabbin and wachusett. I'll be looking for that PT Cruiser, and if you hear a crazy lady yelling Eagleman you will know it's me.

Joanne
bev.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »

I am so excited to see William gets picutres f the Barton Cove eagles.  love love

when I was first a member of the Buffalo forum in 2006, this was my one of my favorite sites. I do miss it.  Hopefully they wil try and get a cm here.

thanks to all who visit there and keep us posted
cutloose

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 04:40:13 AM »

Hi Bev, Are you from Buffalo N.Y. ? My son just moved back down here from Buffalo. He attended UB. Last year I kept tabs on the falcon cam UB had. Our family enjoyed visiting the area. My daughter and I took trip up there on my Harley a few years back. I hope to have even better photos on my site than last year. I have bought some new equipment and learned new photography techniques.  Thanks for commenting.
SharonFeeney

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »

cutloose your photos are awesome!  Judyb it would be great to see you here too! I do have to say that I've been to the nest about a half a dozen times in the last two weeks, and I think they are incubating there.  Just this morning, my bad eyes and worse binoculars just absolutely and undoubtedly witnessed a switch. I could see no one on the nest for about a half hour and I hardly took my eyes off it. The I saw an adult fly in and carefully land on the edge and it appeared to move around nesting material. Five minutes later, I saw another adult head pop up. Yes! That bird flew to a nearby branch and the other adult settled down low in the nest.   So, I hope you're able to visit again soon to see some action there.  I'm so disappointed that there's not a cam again this year. 
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: