December 12, 2017, 02:34:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 103 104 [105]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSNH Ayers Island, NH Osprey Cam  (Read 126186 times)
tele

« Reply #1560 on: June 22, 2015, 06:36:55 PM »

Gundersen on the fish branch, but he has no fish 6-20-2015'

tele

« Reply #1561 on: June 22, 2015, 06:42:16 PM »

Ok, really don't know why I can't post more than one in one reply, but at least I got the pics up on here nod2

We went down this evening for about an hour & a half and all we got to see was an empty nest dunno  Now that school is out I can go down whenever nod2
Sherri

« Reply #1562 on: June 23, 2015, 03:21:20 AM »

tele, wonderful pictures -- thanks so much!  flower flower

Sadly, I don't have a very good feeling about the eggs surviving at the nest.  sosad
Rob and Iain were there on 5/19 and saw 3 eggs which likely were laid a while before that and should
have hatched by now (just my own opinion).  Such a shame we don't have the cam to know whether there
was more intruder issues, etc.

tele

« Reply #1563 on: June 23, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »

Thank you! You are very welcom nod2   Of course I feel the same way as there is no way those eggs are even viable now. I too think they should have hatched by now, but guess it's not meant to be this year unless there is a miracle!!  It is a shame that the cam isn't running after all we have accomplished with the technology and these birds and now we have taken a GIANT STEP BACKWARDS gaah Don't even want to know what they were thinking because obviously they were not. This is/was all about the study and fun with these Osprey. It's just terrible and no need of it. No excuses lollol None sosad
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #1564 on: June 23, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »

Wonderful pictures, tele - love the one of Mom landing on her nest - great job of catching those big wings!

I think the rainy weather has been very challenging for a lot of nests - I know the eagles near us had their nest fail when there were several cold days with heavy rain near the time the eggs should have been hatching.  sosad  But the osprey near me were just laying eggs then, and they're doing OK this year.

Keeping fingers crossed that things will be better next year.  flower

jazzel26

« Reply #1565 on: June 23, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »

Tele, nice photos, good to have someone on site flower

How do you ID the osprey, Gundersen and the resident female?  Maybe intruders or... 

JAZZEL
Sherri

« Reply #1566 on: June 24, 2015, 04:37:03 AM »

Sadly, our suspicions are right regarding the outcome for the eggs.  sosad

I heard from my PSNH contact and he shared information that the staff received from Iain.
It seems as though weather was indeed the culprit.  Iain was there on a Sunday (not sure if this past Sunday
or earlier in month).  It was pouring rain and chilly.  The female was trying her best to keep the eggs dry and
even seemed to try to move them out of the nest bowl a bit as they were likely sitting in water.  When he and
Rob went there on 5/19, Rob indicated the nest bowl was extremely shallow and minimal materials surrounding
the female.  Therefore, she didn't have much protection.  There had been three straight nights and two plus
days of rain and cold.
Anyway, he went back again another day for an hour and the nest was empty. The female was not in sight and
Gundersen was up river a bit, sitting on a branch preening.  
They figure that Gundersen is a fairly young bird and wasn't a lot of help to the female, who is older.
So -- no chicks at Ayers this year. sosad

On a happier note, Donovan and Art's nests had newly hatched chicks at the time and he is in hopes they are
OK.  Apparently Art's nest is huge this year which will give female more protection.

Jazzel, until this year I wondered the same as to how tele could tell them apart as it is a very long distance
to the other side of the dam.  The male and female have quite similar head markings over the beak, but the
female has a heavier necklace -- male is quite white and tele got very good at the IDs.
Now it should be easier as Gundersen has a transmitter. bigsmile
tele

« Reply #1567 on: June 24, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »

The weather has been bad here these past couple of weeks with down pours and wind. Unfortunately the nest here is awful, they just don't know how to make a nest nope Hopefully next year will be better if they can fix their nest that is nod2

Jazzel, I have high powered binoculars that I use along with my camera with a zoom lens of 400 and this is how I can tell the difference between the male and female. They usually will fly over me and I can identify them that way too. I can also see the transmitter on Gundersen now that he has one, plus his chest is very white unlike the female as she has a blotch of brown then like a ring around her neck like a necklace. I have been doing this for years now and go down to their nest just about every day, so this is how I got very good at the ID's.

I am headed up north next week and will stop at my other osprey site. They have been doing great so far and their nest is the best one that I have ever seen love
Pages:  1 ... 103 104 [105]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: