February 20, 2018, 06:31:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 153   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 177459 times)
Judy
Administrator

« on: November 07, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »

Lun Lun and Yang Yang are the female and male pandas at Zoo Atlanta in Georgia.

Cubs:
Mei Lan was born September 6, 2006, and is now in China.
Xi Lan was born August 30, 2008.
Third cub was born November 3, 2010.

Cam:
http://www.zooatlanta.org/1212/panda_cam

My Nature & Wildlife Photographs - http://judyb.zenfolio.com/
Judy
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 06:20:49 AM »

reserved for recap of previous years

hermit

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 02:33:29 AM »

From Zoo Atlanta:

Saturday, November 13
Because Lun Lun has been leaving the cub regularly, we were able to do a quick health check on the cub on Friday.  Lun Lun was closed in the adjacent den while the cub was removed, quickly weighed and measured.  The cub is in excellent health.  Its weight is 297 grams. Its chest girth is 17 cm. Its total length was not measured, but its head is 4.5 cm long and its tail is an amazing 5 cm in length.  Lun Lun did well while the cub was away.  She ate some sugarcane and biscuits, but she was eager to return to her cub.  She picked it up right away and licked it for a few minutes.  Then she and the cub settled down for a nap.

The cub's sex will be announced late next week - stay tuned for exciting details!
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

A short video of Lun Lun and the new little one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykGqNGb-k3g&NR=1
PattiO

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 04:54:58 PM »

clap1 love love
hermit

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 02:46:47 AM »

From Zoo Atlanta:

Sunday, November 14 (Happy Birthday Zoo Atlanta Webmaster)
The cub's coloration continues to change with every day.  The black areas are getting darker than they were before, and at present you can really see the back legs changing.  The skin turns dark first.  Now we just have to wait for the fur to really start to grow in.  I have been able to get some good looks at the cub the last two nights as Lun Lun is leaving it to go eat in an adjacent den more regularly.  The cub is not 100% okay with this quite yet, but if Lun feels that it needs something, she does not hesitate to head right back.  That just shows how good of a mother she is, as she will give up eating for the sake of the cub's happiness.  If Lun is eating, though, I try to sneak a peek at the cub to see any changes going on, and that is how I really noticed the change in coloration.
Joseph T. Svoke
Carnivore Keeper III

hermit

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »

From Zoo Atlanta:

Monday, November 15
Lun Lun’s food consumption is beginning to return to normal. The last two days she ate her normal daily amount of biscuits. Prior to this, she hadn’t done that since October 21. She is also eating bamboo pretty well, but in smaller amounts than normal. It takes a lot of time to process and consume bamboo and Lun Lun doesn’t have time, yet, to consume her normal amount of bamboo. That will change gradually as the cub matures. For now, Lun Lun is eating a normal amount of food for a mother with a young cub and she continues to take great care of her cub.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

Judy
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »

Hi Hermit, thanks so much for the updates!   bigsmile

PattiO

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »

It totally amazes me how those big paws so gently and carefully handle that teeny cub.   heart0 bigsmile
hermit

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 02:40:36 AM »

A video of the little one from yesterday.   bigsmile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6txK0phDdH8
birdofprey

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 07:46:42 AM »

aaww what a cute video - thanks hermit. The cub is beginning to get its panda markings.  heart0 heart0
hermit

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »

From Zoo Atlanta:

Tuesday, November 16
Last evening Lun did something interesting, when she bleated once as she was heading back to the cub after eating a little food. This was interesting because I haven’t heard Lun vocalize in probably over a month (except for the footage of the birth). Normally this type of vocalization is an affiliative sound between two pandas, but Lun and Yang also do it to try to get our attention when they want food. It was odd that Lun made this vocalization when she was headed back to the cub. Was she trying to tell her little one that she was coming, since it was vocalizing the whole time that she was away? Or was she just mad at me for not giving her all the biscuits that she wanted, and was telling me her frustrations? Who really knows what Lun is and was thinking at the time, but I am sure that she had her reasons.
Joseph T. Svoke
Carnivore Keeper III

bigsmile
hermit

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »

From Zoo Atlanta:

Wednesday, November 17
The cub continues to grow every day. When I returned from my weekend on Tuesday, I could not believe how big the cub had gotten in just two days! The dark areas of the cub’s body have gotten even darker and the fine white fur has gotten even fuzzier. The cub’s belly is rounder than ever! My favorite part of all mammal babies is their healthy, round, full bellies. Every time the cub is visible I look at its tummy and I know it is getting plenty of milk and care from Lun Lun, which is why it is growing so quickly. 
Heather Baker Roberts
Carnivore Keeper II

Beth

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

love

hermit

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »

Thank you, Beth.   bigsmile
birdofprey

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »

Thank you, Beth. The cub is getting panda eyes on its little head!  love
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 153   Go Up