January 20, 2018, 04:11:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 150 151 [152]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 175123 times)
hermit

« Reply #2265 on: December 28, 2017, 12:05:23 AM »

December 27, 2017
As part of the giant pandas’ animal care team, we are lucky to get to know the pandas on individual levels and observe their unique personality traits. Their individual personalities are one of the many methods used to tell the cubs apart, particularly when they are still very small and look similar. As the cubs have gotten older, physical traits have also come in handy when telling the cubs apart from a distance. In the past, Mei Lun and Mei Huan were differentiated by spots on their noses as well as the dark saddles on their backs. You also may have heard us talk about Xi Lun’s eye patch “swoops” that flare out much more than her sister’s. If you have been following the Zoo Atlanta pandas for a while, then you have most definitely heard someone mention Yang Yang’s radar or Shrek ears. They are one of his most endearing traits (because let’s face it, there are plenty), and are often used by visitors to tell Yang Yang apart from Lun Lun at a distance. While one of his most unique physical traits, keepers have yet to identify it being passed on to any of his offspring. But there is still hope! The cubs are still growing like weeds, and recently we have noticed that Ya Lun might just be sporting her dad’s trademark ears. Fingers crossed that Yang Yang has passed this trait on to Ya Lun and we will have the chance to see a little bit of Yang Yang in his lineage for years to come!
Danica W.
Swing Keeper I, Mammals
hermit

« Reply #2266 on: January 04, 2018, 02:48:07 AM »

January 3, 2018
Brrrr! Who turned up the air conditioner in Atlanta this week? It’s about as cold here as it was in Pennsylvania when I was visiting for Christmas. Yikes! Of course, the pandas don’t really seem to mind. Just one more way that the giant pandas are different from the meat-eating carnivores and many of the other animals in the Zoo. On a day like today, while others are inside and away from the frigid outdoors, the giant pandas are built for this type of weather. Though the cubs still need some time to adjust to the extreme cold, the adults are old pros, and Yang Yang has enjoyed some time outside this week. Even Idgie the red panda seems unfazed for the most part; she seemed far more interested in greeting me with her little bleats this morning, urging me to hurry up with her breakfast. And speaking of breakfast, the cubs are definitely becoming bamboo-eating machines! Lun Lun and the girls chowed down on quite a bit of bamboo while we were getting the dayrooms ready this morning. I’d say they were bulking up because of the cold, but maybe that’s just me … I guess we’ll see if they continue to eat this much when it gets a bit warmer.
Erin D.
Keeper II, Mammals
hermit

« Reply #2267 on: January 05, 2018, 10:26:31 PM »

January 5, 2018
The cubs are becoming little eating machines. Just a few months ago, when we would refresh Lun Lun’s bamboo (which happens four to five times a day), the cubs would continue to snooze away on the structures. Nowadays when the cubs notice Lun Lun going inside, most of the time they run right in with her in order to get some leafeater biscuits. They will then run back out and try and eat as many biscuits as they can. Even after all the leafeater biscuits are gone, they use their little noses in search of more. Then, after deciding there are no more to be found, they continue to eat bamboo for several minutes until they fill up and settle in for a nap.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals

love
hermit

« Reply #2268 on: January 10, 2018, 12:50:05 AM »

January 8, 2018
We have an update on the sweet potato saga! Ya Lun now likes sweet potato! Both cubs have been offered 25 grams of sweet potato daily for well over a couple of months, and just recently, Ya Lun decided to try a few bites! At first it was likely accidental (we offered a piece of leafeater biscuit with a bit of sweet potato), but now that she has actually consumed some, she has developed a taste for the orange yumminess! He sister still couldn’t care less about sweet potato, but we’re hopeful she will eventually develop a taste for it as well!
Jen W.
Keeper III, Mammals
hermit

« Reply #2269 on: January 11, 2018, 04:40:35 AM »

January 10, 2018
With the recent cold snap, we have been able to offer the pandas river cane bamboo (Arundinaria gigantea). River cane bamboo is native to Georgia and, as it name suggests, grows along river banks. Our pandas love river cane, but only if it is harvested below 40° Fahrenheit. I don’t know why, but I assume that the bamboo contains the perfect combination of nutrients when cut at or below that temperature. We have tried offering river cane at warmer temperatures and the pandas do not eat it. Ya Lun and Xi Lun love the river cane just as much as their parents do, and are helping Lun Lun plow through it daily. All of Lun Lun’s cubs have eaten river cane voraciously when they have been introduced to it, and these girls are no different.
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
nightengale

« Reply #2270 on: January 12, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »

Hello my friend hermit!!!!!!!

You are the very best keeping an excellent account of our beloved pandas on this thread ....love you! heart0

Hope Christmas was blessed .... and all my best wishes for a fabulous 2018!

Not sure if you caught this video of the Toronto pandas going head to head with a snowman  biggergrin2....

http://mashable.com/2018/01/12/pandas-snowman-murder-toronto-zoo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results#WHvr7Mihfqqw

.... how they LOVE the snow!

.... miss you hermit!   hug

~Chris~ 
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

hermit

« Reply #2271 on: January 12, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »

Hi, Chris.  I've missed you, too.

That's a great video. nod2   I hadn't seen it, so thanks for posting it.  flower
hermit

« Reply #2272 on: January 12, 2018, 10:19:50 PM »

January 12, 2018
After being out of town for about a week, I returned to the Zoo and Ya Lun and Xi Lun looked like they had almost doubled in size. We really aren’t kidding when we say these two grow like weeds. Right now, both Ya Lun and Xi Lun weigh around 40 kilograms (or about 88 pounds), which is right on track for cubs their age. As they’ve gotten bigger, they have had to adjust some of their favorite sleeping spots. We’ve noticed recently that Xi Lun almost always goes to take a nap at the same place near the base of the structure in Dayroom 2. Ya Lun, still the bigger of the two, enjoys wedging herself between two of the logs and resting up on top of the structure.
Danica W.
Swing Keeper I, Mammals
Pages:  1 ... 150 151 [152]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: