August 20, 2017, 08:15:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 164948 times)
hermit

« Reply #2175 on: May 31, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »

May 31, 2017
I have been up in pandas since mid-April, and this past week I worked in Hoofstock for two days. It is the first time I haven’t seen the cubs for more than a few days since I started working the panda routine. I know other keepers have mentioned it in past updates, but wow, do these two grow quickly! I came back after just four days and they looked so much bigger.

As was also mentioned in previous updates, bamboo shoot season has sadly come to a close, and we are back to offering the pandas mature bamboo. The primary species we are offering right now is yellow groove. It is a very leafy bamboo that the twins enjoy chewing on and playing with. Often, before we clear a dayroom of bamboo that Lun Lun didn’t want to eat, we save an intact leafy piece and put it on the structure for the girls to play with. This leaned back and relaxed position that the pandas sit in is my favorite. A former intern in the panda department referred to it as the “panda puddle.” It looks pretty silly, but it sure puts a smile on my face!
Danica W.
Swing Keeper, Mammals
nightengale

« Reply #2176 on: June 01, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »

Thank you hermit!

.... here's today's photo from a video posted on ZA FB ....

~Chris~ 
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

hermit

« Reply #2177 on: June 03, 2017, 12:50:06 AM »

Thanks, Chris.   flower
hermit

« Reply #2178 on: June 03, 2017, 12:50:30 AM »

June 2, 2017
One of my favorite things is watching cub personalities blossom. The girls are still small enough that we can safely clean around them as long as they stay in the dayroom structures. If they’re squirmy, but not wanting to come down and shift inside with their mom, we will offer them a leafeater biscuit or piece of apple or banana to keep them occupied while we clean. This serves a secondary purpose in that it exposes them to solid food more often.

We have definitely noticed preferences between both cubs. Ya Lun is the resident biscuit fiend. She does not discriminate between the two types we offer (one is red colored and one is brown colored – they have different nutritional compositions). She likes to nibble on apples, but bananas are way tastier. Xi Lun seems to prefer biscuits over produce, and brown biscuits over red ones. With their supplemental formula, Xi Lun guzzles hers way quicker than Ya Lun. This is ironic because Xi Lun gets offered more formula than her sister because she’s more petite … and in the beginning, Ya Lun was the formula guzzler!

Another difference: If you have a chance to meet the girls at one of our Lun Lun & Cub Wild Encounters, you’ll likely find Xi Lun entertaining herself with one of the jolly balls we place in the den, while Ya Lun is up front and center trying to steal biscuits from her mom! Of course Lun doesn’t allow this, so watching this biscuit-stealing affair is quite entertaining!
Jen W.
Keeper III, Mammals

bigsmile
nightengale

« Reply #2179 on: June 04, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »

Hi hermit.... thanks!

.... here are the pics to go with the 'personalities' post ....

.... too cute!

~Chris~ 
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

hermit

« Reply #2180 on: June 05, 2017, 12:57:11 AM »

Thanks, Chrisflower   I love those little faces.  love
nightengale

« Reply #2181 on: June 07, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

hahahaha .... they are so precious!

..... today's ZA FB post and pic ....

Exciting things are happening in the world of giant pandas here at Zoo Atlanta. Well, exciting things for us anyway. We are currently making repairs to the outdoor habitats and getting them prepped for a makeover later this week. This makeover includes repairs to retaining walls, trimming of all the trees, and repairs to the climbing structures, but most notably, we will be installing sod in both of the habitats. Adding grass to the habitats always makes the areas look their best, and the pandas seem to enjoy the new texture under their feet as well. Now if we can just train them to cut it as well. Make sure to check it out next week and see the difference a little green makes.
Kenn H.
Assistant Curator of Mammals

(photo by Jen W.)

... quite the 'pin up pic'  wink2

~Chris~ 

hermit

« Reply #2182 on: June 07, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »

Thanks, Chrisflower   She looks comfortable.  bigsmile
nightengale

« Reply #2183 on: June 09, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »

Hope your day was extra special hermit!

~Chris~ 

hermit

« Reply #2184 on: June 09, 2017, 10:49:30 PM »

Thank you, Chris.  It was special.

June 9, 2017
As Shauna mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we are working on teaching the cubs to get onto the adult panda scale for weights. This behavior also requires the cubs to move from one den to another (we call this behavior shifting). Right now the cubs are most motivated by their supplemental formula. They are eating biscuits reliably, but still prefer the formula to biscuits. We started the teaching the cubs the scale behavior by offering them their formula while they were on the scale. Once they caught on, we would place the bottle of formula on the scale while the cub was busy doing something else. Then we would show them that the bottle was on the scale and the cub would have to go to the bottle. Finally, we put the bottle on the scale with the cub in a separate den, so the cub had to shift into the den to get up on the scale for the bottle. Both cubs are doing really well!
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
hermit

« Reply #2185 on: June 12, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »

June 12, 2017
New enrichment! Or at least new to the cubs. We recently hung the “tire swing” in Dayroom Two for the cubs to play with. This is a picture of their first interaction with it. In typical fashion, Ya Lun immediately tried to climb on it, while her sister Xi Lun was a little more hesitant and shied away from the swinging monstrosity. After the lunchtime nap, we found both girls playing with the swing so it’s already a hit! This was one of Mei Lun’s and Mei Huan’s favorite enrichment items, so I’m excited to see our latest twins love climbing in it as well!
Jen W.
Keeper III, Mammals

Sorry I can't post the picture.  sosad
hermit

« Reply #2186 on: June 14, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »

June 14, 2017
Many people ask us if Yang Yang ever interacts with the cubs. Yang Yang never shares a direct space with the cubs, but he often hears, smells, or sees them in adjacent dens as he passes by. This is completely normal and natural behavior. In the wild, adult male pandas do not participate in the care of their offspring. Despite not physically interacting with one another, the cubs have certain characteristics that remind me very much of their Dad. I see these similarities particularly in Ya Lun and her behavior and sleeping habits. Ya Lun is very much like Yang Yang in that she loves to interact with her keepers and is very playful. She also prefers red leafeater biscuits over brown, and can often be found sleeping belly-up on the structure. These are the first cubs I have worked with, and it is also fun to hear keepers compare them to their older brothers and sisters who are now living in China. Xi Lun is still a bit more reserved, so it will be exciting to see which parent or sibling she is most like as she comes out of her shell.
Danica W.
Swing Keeper, Mammals
hermit

« Reply #2187 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:42 AM »

June 16, 2017
Since my last update, I have spent more time with Ya Lun and Xi Lun to both win over their love with biscuits and also get to know them a little more. First, I gotta say that these girls are so fun to watch. When they aren’t sleeping, they are playing with each other and learning important panda lessons through play with mom Lun Lun also. Second, they are growing so fast. Ya Lun is already over 43 pounds, and Xi Lun isn’t far behind at 39 pounds. Third, I have tips on how to tell them apart. Of course you can cheat and look for the blue dot on Ya Lun’s back, but if you can only see their faces, look at the black around their eyes. Ya Lun has round, black markings, while Xi Lun has cat eyes where her markings dip in and then swoop outward.
Stephanie B.
Curator of Mammals
hermit

« Reply #2188 on: June 21, 2017, 09:01:49 PM »

June 21, 2017
If you watch PandaCam, you know that Ya Lun and Xi Lun can be quite rambunctious. When they aren’t napping, most of their time is spent wrestling, eating, or chasing Lun Lun around the dayroom. These girls can go zero to 60 in seconds! Ok, maybe more like zero to three or four, but you get the picture.

Their energy and playfulness could likely test the patience skills of any mother. It is incredible to watch Lun Lun’s patience and she is a great panda mom. When the playing is over or naptime has just ended, it’s quiet moments like this that really make you step back and realize just how good of a Mom Lun Lun is.

This morning, the cubs were running around and playing with Lun Lun in the dayroom when we started our day. Lun was chasing them up the structure and rolling around in the hammock with them. To be honest, it was so cute that I was watching PandaCam from the computer room before I even had my shoes all the way on. We were cleaning the building and waiting for the cubs’ bottles to warm up, and it got really quiet all of a sudden. I peeked over to see what Lun and cubs were up to and caught this quick moment of calm before the cubs were right back at their play session.

Lun Lun is the first animal I have worked with who currently has offspring living with her. It’s amazing to get to know the animals you work with as individuals with their own quirky personalities, but it’s also really cool to get to know Lun as a Mom.
Danica W.
Swing Keeper I, Mammals
hermit

« Reply #2189 on: June 23, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »

June 23, 2017
We offer the giant pandas two different types of leafeater biscuits. One is the original biscuit that Yang Yang and Lun Lun were given when they arrived at Zoo Atlanta in 1999, and is beet-based. This biscuit is a little bit sweet. The other biscuit is low-starch, so it has less sugar and more fiber. Guess which ones the pandas like best?

If you said the sweeter one, you would be correct! Giant pandas definitely have a sweet tooth. However, Xi Lun is a funny little panda! Sometimes she prefers the red leafeater biscuit (beet-based), and sometimes she prefers the brown leafeater biscuit (low-starch). We never know which one she will choose at any given time. She lets us know by refusing the one we offer or if we give her a choice of both, she picks the one she wants at the moment.

Ya Lun will take whatever biscuit she is offered or finds lying around – she’s not picky. Yang Yang and Lun Lun always prefer the beet-based leafeater biscuits, no matter what.
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
Pages:  1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: