September 23, 2014, 03:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19.
First hatch observed April 23. Second hatch April 24. June 21, Little passed away. July 9, Big ME-5 fledged

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 102   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 56549 times)
MaryG

« Reply #780 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:18 PM »

Get the latest news:  go to Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam website and sign up for "Cub Confidential" emails - split second, up to date news and photos of cubs.

Signed up and almost immediately received photo of one of cubs in incubator. love
nightengale

« Reply #781 on: July 15, 2013, 07:28:43 PM »

Congratulations on the twins! I just saw this on another site and had to come and confirm the good news. What a very special event for the Panda faithful here. Makes me think of Aline, too, and how much she would have loved this event. Fun times ahead.....

Apparently one cub is with Lun, the other is being cared for in an incubator.

Yes, Aline would have loved this news. flower

Yep, as soon as I heard the news .... the first person I thought of was Aline nod2 Something tells me she's keeping track of these twin cubbies ...

... snagged SC from the Zoo website ....

.... I signed up MaryG ... thanks for the heads up  flower

~Chris~ 

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

birdofprey

« Reply #782 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »

Oh so cute Chris  love

I've signed up for Cub Confidential too MaryG.
PattiO

« Reply #783 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »

I believe they are trying to increase the chances of both cubs surviving by "swaping" the cubs out every couple hours. .. therefore "tricking" the mother into believing she is raising only one cub.  Most twin births in the wild the mother will abandon one cub. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/twinswapping-raises-odds-on-panda-survival-2152192.html
Judy
Administrator

« Reply #784 on: July 16, 2013, 07:54:23 AM »

I just saw on CNN about the twins and immediately came to the place where I knew I could find out more.  bigsmile 
I know maybe when they are older we can all plan a trip to Atlanta to see them at the same time.  bigsmile

My Nature & Wildlife Photographs - http://judyb.zenfolio.com/
nightengale

« Reply #785 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »

Patti ... excellent article ... thanks for the link flower

Right below the cam image ........ it says, 'If you see the wall appear on PandaCam, that means they're trying to swap out the cubs! Keep watching ...'

Lun Lun is in view now ... but the little one is so tiny ... it is difficult to get a decent image.

These next two weeks we'll be on pins and needles ... the first 10 days or so ... mortality rate goes up. Zoo Atlanta has wonderful staff ...  I'm praying that they can keep up a successful swap between the two precious cubbies heart0

I just saw on CNN about the twins and immediately came to the place where I knew I could find out more.  bigsmile  
I know maybe when they are older we can all plan a trip to Atlanta to see them at the same time.  bigsmile

... sounds like a plan .... count me in!

~Chris~ 

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

nightengale

« Reply #786 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

12:26 PM, ET ..... Lun Lun has the cubby cradled in her paw ... giving it 'love licks' ......

~Chris~ 

nightengale

« Reply #787 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »

1:15 PM, ET ....

... good Momma nod2

More News releases:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/double-delight-giant-panda-gives-birth-twins-atlanta-zoo-6C10645570

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/giant-panda-birth-twins-atlanta-article-1.1399915

CNN News piece with video:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/16/us/panda-twins-born/index.html

~Chris~ 

hermit

« Reply #788 on: July 16, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

From Zoo Atlanta:

Tuesday, July 16
The panda team is tired and a little stressed, but happy! So far, both cubs are doing well. We are fortunate that both were born a healthy weight and strong. Sometimes one twin is very small. As you all know, Lun Lun is a fantastic mom, and she's even more impressive this time. The cubs are being alternated with her, which is a technique first developed by our colleagues in Chengdu and used successfully for many cubs. Lun Lun is such a good mom, though, that she is reluctant to give up whichever cub she has. So, we have not been able to swap the cubs as frequently as we would like. Because of that, both have been supplemented with some formula. Both are doing well with this. Their condition and Lun Lun's behavior will continue to guide our actions. The next few days are especially critical. So, please continue to keep us in your thoughts. We can use the good vibes!
Rebecca Snyder, PhD,
Curator of Mammals
hermit

« Reply #789 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc3EVrwFjs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc3EVrwFjs</a>
nightengale

« Reply #790 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »

Excellent video! Thank you so much hermit for posting it!

Now we just need some luck and good karma so that both these little ones make it

~Chris~ 

nightengale

« Reply #791 on: July 16, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »

... from ZA 'Cub Confidential' ....

July 16, Day 1: Both cubs are doing great! In the wild, giant panda mothers usually only care for one cub. In efforts not to overexert Lun Lun, we’ve been swapping the cubs to make sure they both get equal mommy time! Both cubs are being supplemented with formula at this time to ensure they get the nutrition they need. Lun Lun is such a great mom; she usually hesitates to let the cub she’s holding go! We’re sure she could use some rest!

~Chris~ 

MaryG

« Reply #792 on: July 17, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »

Amazing video of the births, hermit.  Thank you.  bigsmile

Lun Lun appears to be as surprised as everyone else when the second cub popped!

Kudos to the dedicated ZA staff who are caring for LL and her babies.  flower  
hermit

« Reply #793 on: July 17, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »

From Zoo Atlanta:

July 17, Day 2: Dr. Sam Rivera, Associate Veterinarian, sends Cub Confidential subscribers an exclusive update on the twins.

Says Dr. Sam: “Lun Lun and the cubs continue doing well and are settling nicely into the new routine. The last 12 hours have been less challenging than the first 12. Both cubs appear to be nursing well, and Lun Lun is doing an outstanding job caring for them and cooperating with our plans. We’re currently swapping cubs every two to three hours. The cubs are well hydrated and are urinating and defecating normally. I never thought I’d get so excited about panda poop!”

Thanks, Dr. Sam, for the scoop – literally – on the cubs. We’re excited, too, and we don’t mind saying so!

bigsmile
Judy
Administrator

« Reply #794 on: July 17, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »

Amazing video, thanks Hermit!  bigsmile

My Nature & Wildlife Photographs - http://judyb.zenfolio.com/
Pages:  1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 102   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: