December 12, 2017, 02:29:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sasanoa River Osprey  (Read 5052 times)
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »

Glad you liked the pictures, Sherri - as you know, it's a beautiful area!  flower

And....

Charlie and I drove by the nests Saturday afternoon, May 27, and we didn't have time to stop for a couple of reasons - but both adults were on the Platform nest, and it sure looked to me as if one was feeding a chick (or two) while the other kept watch, and perhaps tried to help.  It was just a quick glimpse - but everything about the way they were standing and the bit of movement I saw said "feeding"!  love

Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy - but maybe Tuesday I'll be able to get down and see a bit more.

Sherri

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »

That's great, Judy! ........... hope all works out well for them!  bigsmile
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »

June 2

Well, we stopped by the bridge today.  Bridge Mom was on the nest, and I think we saw Bridge Dad perched in one of the trees of the side of the bridge away from the Platform Nest.

We definitely saw both Platform Nest adults, and it's getting too late for me to go through my pictures, but I don't think we saw a chick, though I think one or more has hatched.

The interesting thing that we saw (and I'm reminded of the curse, "may you live in interesting times") - was what Charlie thought was an osprey repeatedly attacking the eagles who sometimes nest on a platform further out on the river, but whose nest failed this year.  I don't think I got a picture of the osprey, though I got several of one of the eagles flipped with talons up in a defensive posture - but Charlie had binoculars, and thought it was an osprey.  And I cannot think of a reason why an osprey would attack a pair of eagles, unless they'd grabbed one of his chicks.  And the Platform pair probably have chicks - but I can't picture the eagles grabbing them because they are too small - eagles don't risk tangling with anyone who might hurt them unless they are very desperate and/or the prize is great.  There are lots of fish around now, the eagles don't have chicks to feed (I'm pretty sure about that, because they were incubating on their platform, and then they weren't - which sadly has been happening lately because the weather is just too bad around the time their chicks hatch) - so there's no reason they would try to grab a tiny chick, and the platform pair don't leave their nest unguarded - there is another pair very close, and they are careful until the chicks are big enough to fly away from danger.

So - with a bit of luck I'll get back tomorrow, maybe with my really big binoculars to see a bit more of what is happening.

I'm still hoping for chicks on the Platform nest, and Bridge Mom was acting as if she's still on eggs.

We didn't get to TOM - maybe tomorrow.

And keeping fingers crossed that maybe we just saw an annoyed sparrow harassing the eagles - it's never good when eagles and osprey fight.  sosad

Sherri

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »

Wow! .....hope all will be well with both the osprey and the eagles!
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »

Someday I'll get caught up - but for now, here's a rare photo of the whole family at the platform nest!  Mom (on the left) is about to take a fish from Dad, while the three (yes, I thought only two - but there are clearly three of them!) chicks wait politely on the right for their dinner.

And I do think they are well-fed - when Dad left, Mom started eating the fish - and they did not rush her or try to grab it, which I'm very sure they would have done if they weren't full already.  And they look reasonably plump, and one or two looked submissive occasionally, but not constantly, so I do think they are doing quite well.  My best guess is that the oldest is a week or so older than the chick at the Taste of Maine Restaurant "around the corner" (well, around the bend in the river) - so a bit over 7 weeks old, and suspect the others are also older, so the youngest may be close to 7 weeks (the TOM chick we've nicknamed Conor was 6 weeks old on Thursday, July 13).

I'm pretty sure there is at least one chick in the nest on the bridge - Mom is very consistently standing as if guarding and shading something - but so far I've only seen one blurry spot that might be a chick's head.  Based on when it looked as if she may have started feeding, I'm guessing the chick there is a bit over 3 weeks old, so 3 weeks behind the TOM chick, and 4 weeks later than the oldest platform chick.  More or less.  The bridge nest was later last year too, so I'm assuming all is good.  love

Sherri

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2017, 05:26:12 AM »

Love this picture! ..... and so glad you caught the whole family!  ..... maybe you will catch one fledging next time.  bigsmile
Thanks Judy! .... I not only missed the get together but also missed the opportunity to see your osprey family
Pages:  1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: