September 23, 2017, 01:57:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timeline of Significant Events 2013 - 2014 Season  (Read 5709 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« on: January 12, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »

Timeline of Significant Events 2013 - 2014 Season

We do not have too much to go on these past 8 years (2006 - 2014) or so in terms of trying to work out what might be "normal" for the first egg because of so many factors, not nesting and bad weather, for example.

Egg Laying Dates:

March 6 first egg.
3 eaglets hatched.
Between April 12-23 there were 3 chicks.
April 28, third chick no longer seen.
Two eaglets fledged.

March 5 and March 8
April 12 first chick seen.
April 17/18 - Storm causes loss of chicks
Both perished in the terrible storms.

No eggs

No eggs

No eggs

March 24 and March 27
Female stops incubating and no eggs hatch, male cannot incubate alone (jacci's post on BRI Ning site)
http://briloon.ning.com/group/eaglecam/forum/topics/past-history-of-egg-1
Neither survived

March 26 and date not certain for second egg (Eden & Geddy)
May 3 one chick seen
May 4 the second chick seen
Only one fledged.

March 15 and date not certain for second egg (Willow & Moxie)
April 19 first chick seen
April 23 second chick seen
June 3 - second chick passes away, possibly due to starvation
Only one fledged.

March 16 and March 19. One Eaglet perished through starvation and bulling on April 20, 2014. See below for more detail.

JudyB's web site Very easy to use and everything is there. Each nest is separate and goes by year.  Records go back to 2007.  Many years of osprey information as well.

http://www.judyb-eagles.com/home.htm

Feb 11, 2014 First Mating
Link to willpatt's post:
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=9.msg77780#msg77780

Mar 16, 2014 First Egg
First Maine Eagle egg on 16th March, 2014 at 1:55pm
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=9.msg80093#msg80093

March 19, 2014 at about 5:05pm Second Egg

April 23, 2014 First eaglet, "Big ME-5" observed at 06:05a.m. It probably hatched on April 22nd,
April 24, 2014 Second eaglet observed at 6:40pm
June 21, 2014 - Younger eaglet, "Little ME-6" passed away due to food deprivation.

July 9, 2014 - Big ME-5 Fledged although she did accidentally leave the nest a day or two before (possibly accidentally) and returned.

August 11, 2014 - Big ME-5 has been leaving the nest area for longer periods, seen today briefly on the branch above the nest.

August 15, 2014 - The cam went off air and has been to date (30 Aug, 2014). Big had been seen and heard from time to time before it went off air.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »

February 11th - Both eagles have been at the nest today and they appear to be doing "nestorations". A possible mating attempt was observed today and recorded by willpatt in his post:

Quote from: willpatt
I got a video of all that as well. Female watches while male brought, I think, a stick. Then it just looked like a quick mate and he then brought a big stick.
Click here.

Link to willpatt's post:
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=9.msg77780#msg77780

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:23:39 PM »

Observed today a mating at about 1:19pm - Thursday, 20th February, 2014. Image from a1ladya on the BRI Ning site:

a1ladya

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:58 AM »

Another mating observed February 23rd by birdnerd57.

3:35pm
Good Afternoon all,

Just seen mating on Y branch at 3:35  wink2

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »

Mating observed by LakeMaMa Feb 28

6:58-24

6:58-39
Maybe we will have 4 little eaglets? lollol

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 04:45:31 AM »

March 6, 2014
A significant day!   3 matings were seen!  bigsmile
Screenshots Thread:
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=102.msg79381#msg79381

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:17 AM »

06:22 There was a mating on the Y branch.

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »

At least 5 matings have been observed today on the nest, the first having been around 06:23 in the morning at twilight and the 5th around 6:32pm. Mom has spent a lot of time on the nest today, building the sides of the nest, feeding and mating. We think we heard a 3rd eagle earlier today also.

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »

First Maine Eagle egg on 16th March, 2014 at 1:55pm

http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=9.msg80093#msg80093

1:55-03

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 06:04:09 AM »

Second egg March 19th at about 5:05pm

Here is what I got during the time period that I think she laid the egg.

5:06

5:07

Click for slideshow - 5:02 to 5:13
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/Sherd43/slideshow/0%20Maine%20Eagles%202013/03-19-14%20Slildeshow%20egg

Hi nerd!  glad you were recording!!  ...... and I love that close up cap!  I missed seeing that.
I tuned it at 5:02 and there she was.....I believe in process!

ETA:  Hi Judy, yep think she was done by then.
Nerd, what time do you think?   I believe it was during the time of my slideshow.

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:08:43 AM »

First eaglet observed on April 23 at 06:05a.m. It probably hatched on April 22nd, there were many pages of observations on that day, but no clear sighting until early the next morning:

There IS a live eaglet!! I just saw it move. Haven't seen it being fed, but it's definitely bobbing around. hatch

Lisa has posted a video on the BRI Ning site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ex0en2fZ4I8

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »

First eaglet observed on April 23 at 06:05a.m. It probably hatched on April 22nd, there were many pages of observations on that day, but no clear sighting until early the next morning:

There IS a live eaglet!! I just saw it move. Haven't seen it being fed, but it's definitely bobbing around. hatch

Lisa has posted a video on the BRI Ning site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ex0en2fZ4I8

Great.......thanks Laura. flower

6:46

It appeared as though she was going to feed but got back down.
After my first cap, I had to sit through the ads so didn't get very good ones.  Did anyone see a feeding attempt?
(Maybe everyone doesn't get the ads at same time, or someone who doesn't get them at all?  bigsmile)

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 06:12:20 AM »

Second eaglet observed April 24 at 6:40pm

Everyone!  pay attention!  I swear I saw two chicks in there a couple times!   shock

I might have a cap.

Here is what I recorded at about 6:40 pm. showing what I think is both chicks.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q7TBv0ugd0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q7TBv0ugd0</a>

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 07:29:15 AM »

June 21, 2014 - Younger eaglet, "Little" passes away.

Quote = Sherri from Screenshots thread:
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=102.msg86677#msg86677

"June 21, 2014

Sadly, we are once again faced with losing one precious eaglet........"Little"
.........and once again, the same situation as to the parents not coming in to feed and when they did,
the larger eaglet dominated the smaller into submission so that it couldn't get much to eat other than what
it could steal, or what scraps might have been left in the nest.

A parent was last seen on June 19th (I believe) so that now "Big" is in danger of starving if the parents do
not return.
There was a violent attack by Big on Little yesterday afternoon....Little tried hard to defend but didn't have the
strength to do so. crying
Some believe Little may have still been alive through the night but it appears as though he has now passed."

Please follow link to that thread to read in more detail.

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »

Thank you for keeping the timeline, Laura - very helpful for finding things quickly.  I hope it's OK to add my summary of events for the week - it will be easier to find here if we need to refer to it.

As a reminder, Big was one day older than Little, and they were both a bit over 8 weeks old on June 20th.

Monday, June 16 - both adults were on the nest around 3 pm; Big got the first fish and Little got the second; I think that was the last substantial meal Little had, and the last time both adults were there together, confirming that both were in the area.

Tuesday, June 17 - several food deliveries; Big got most of the food, though Little may have gotten some bites; Little did a great job mantling the one fish she grabbed first, but couldn't eat while mantling, and eventually Big grabbed it away; only one adult seen (though I don't know if it was the same adult each time or if they took turns)

Wednesday, June 18 - one food delivery at 9:15 am, likely a bird; Big got most though Little may have found a few scraps

Thursday, June 19 - food deliveries at 10:15, 11:15 and 12:40, and Big got them all; it looked to me as if Little has some food in her crop in the morning, and did a crop drop - no clue if she found something on the nest overnight, or if it just looked like there was food there because she was dehydrated or something; Little did carefully check the adult's feet during the 11:15 delivery and may have pecked a toe to see if it was food - but didn't grab and pull as I've seen at other nests, so it seems unlikely that caused the adult to stay away - and there was one delivery after that.

Friday, June 20 - no food deliveries; no adult calls heard, as is usually the case; an adult stopped at the nest for a few seconds at noon, but it's not known if it was a parent or a visitor looking for food.  At about 10:15 am, Big attacked Little, and it appeared that Big was trying to push Little out of the nest; Little held on, and after a couple of minutes Big stopped trying.  Big attacked again at about 4:10 pm, battering and pecking Little; after about 10 minutes, Little was down, and not moving, and we thought she was dead - until she stood up at about 5:45 pm - and was attacked again, and pushed to the edge of the nest.  Little tried to fight back, but Big got her down and tried to remove the feathers from her chest; Little managed to grab Big's head with her talons - and they stayed locked in that position for maybe 5 minutes, and then Big broke free and did some flapping and hopping around the nest which reassured us a little as we didn't know how badly he was injured by the talons of the younger, and then he lay down to rest; Little did not move, and again we thought she had died.  At 7:44 pm Little moved a bit.  For the next 45 minutes, Big was up and moving around occasionally while Little was resting.  At about 8:26 pm, Little sat up; Big got up a few minutes later, and Little assumed a submissive posture; Big moved closer, but did not appear to attack; both were resting as it got dark.
- link to Shoebutton's comments on today's events - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=9.msg86639#msg86639
 - link to Sherri's summary of videos for the day - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=102.msg86677#msg86677

Saturday, June 21 - observers reported hearing calls they thought were from Little during the night, and one observer reported that at sunup Big saw to it that Little passed.  Big did quite a bit of calling in the morning, and an adult voice was heard shortly after 7 am, but no one came to the nest.  Around 10:30 Big began trying to defeather Little's body; I think he may have gotten some food, but probably not a lot - definitely a challenge for an eaglet his age who is self-feeding, but used to food that has been prepared.  He then did some flapping and some napping, and continued to call from time to time.  And at 4:25 pm, and adult landed and delivered a fish.  Big mantled the fish, the adult left, and it looked as if Big may have swallowed it whole; at 4:32 an adult arrived with a second fish (not sure if same or different adult) which Big also mantled; while Big was mantling and eating that fish, the adult poked at Little's body, then went to work, removing feathers and perhaps opening it for Big; after a bit, the adult fed part of the remains to Big (video of the two deliveries by lovethebabies).  Adult returned at 6:15, and Big grabbed at her(?) talons, which were empty, but the adult stayed; not sure if he/she did any feeding, but she did remove more feathers; there was another visit around 8:30 pm, again with more defeathering but apparently no feeding.
 - please see the previous post for more links and information.

Sunday, June 22 - the cam had sound but no video for a while this morning, so it's a bit of a guess what may have happened, but it sounded as if an adult may have stopped by once or maybe twice; cam was back around 9:30 am.  Both adults were on the nest at 11:45 pm (first time both have been seen together since June 16), and one dropped off some food; one also did a bit more de-feathering while Big worked on the food that was delivered; it appeared to be something that was not easy to access as Big appeared to be pulling very hard - maybe roadkill?  Both adults were on the nest again at about 2:10 pm and brought more food, perhaps fish; they were not there long.  It was too dark to tell, but from the sounds an adult may have brought more food shortly after 9 pm.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: