January 22, 2018, 03:15:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polar Bears, Luna and Kali, Buffalo Zoo  (Read 10893 times)
hermit

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 02:51:44 AM »

They were having great fun with their toy!  Thanks, Chris.  flower
nightengale

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 12:27:47 AM »

Channel 2 WGRZ Buffalo ran a short story on the new habitiat being planned at the Buffalo Zoo for Luna and Kali ...

Arctic Edge Groundbreaking Next Week
Submitted by WGRZ Web Staff
Friday, February 14th, 2014, 11:32pm

BUFFALO, NY - There was some exciting news from the Buffalo Zoo on Friday. The fundraising for the new polar bear exhibit is complete.

And now that the old bear exhibit has been demolished work on the new Arctic Edge habitat can begin. The groundbreaking date for the new exhibit has been set for this coming Wednesday.

Zoo officials hope to have the permanent home for Luna and Kali set up and ready to go by the fall of 2015.

Source: http://northbuffalo.wgrz.com/news/news/150651-arctic-edge-groundbreaking-next-week

The Zoo has done a phenomenal job in raising funds to not only keep the Polar Bears in Buffalo but to provide them with a state of the art exhibit and to make major upgrades to the Zoo in general. It was only in June 2012 when this video was made in an attempt to gain the public support needed to accomplish these tasks ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMZ8Fmm4k4s

... what was only a dream two years ago, is now becoming a reality .... I hardly can wait to see Luna and Kali in their new 'home'!

I found this video of the pair frolicking in their new pool built for them last fall in their interim exhibit by Buffalo Beauty Pools ... they sure love the water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9uMeMy7zdM

~Chris~ 
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

hermit

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 02:49:51 AM »

Cute video!  Thanks, Chrisflower
MaryG

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »

Thank you, Chris, for all the updates. flower  Love Luna and Kali. love

From the Artic Edge video, it appears that L and K are going to have palatial new quarters in about 1-1/2 years.  Wonderful!!
nightengale

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »

Thanks hermit and Mary

Yep Mary .... about a year and a half and Arctic Edge should be ready for Luna and Kali  heart0

The Zoo is very proud of their fundraising for this project .... a big undertaking in a short period of time. When I last visited on Veteran's Day, it was apparent that the Zoo was generally in disrepair .... so I am glad to hear that they will be making some general improvements as well. The Zoo has a very long history ... among the oldest in the country. It was getting to the point that if it was going to continue to exist .... the community would have to pull together to save it. It is definitely worth the investment.

... exciting times for the city ... and the Zoo! 

~Chris~ 
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

nightengale

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »

As anticipated, groundbreaking on the new Arctic Edge exhibit took place today at the Buffalo Zoo!

Courtesy of WGRZ TV, Buffalo, NY

Courtesy of WGRZ TV, Buffalo NY

...  news video at .......
http://www.wgrz.com/videos/news/local/north-buffalo/2014/02/19/5609073/

It was announced during the news story that there are plans to bring Luna's Mom to Buffalo upon completion of the Arctic Edge exhibit as well as bringing in a breeding male polar bear ...

... the beginning of a gorgeous new home for Luna and Kali and an exciting adventure for the Buffalo Zoo!  

~Chris~ 

MaryG

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »

Love Luna and Kali!  love  love

Thanks for the update, Chris, on the start of construction for the Arctic Edge exhibit.  Exciting times.  nod2

Will be interesting to watch the progress.  Hope L and K won't be "disturbed" by all the activity.
nightengale

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »

I know Mary ... very exciting!  bigsmile

Luna and Kali are in a temporary exhibit ..... way, way back at the back end of the Zoo (a very long walk in the freezing rain last Veteran's Day when I visited  mhihi)

The new Arctic Edge Exhibit is being constructed at the very front of the Zoo .... so plenty of room between Luna and Kali and the new construction. They even moved the other animals away from close proximity to the construction site as early as last fall.

Kali is going to be the subject of a new children's book! .....

Buffalo News story at ....

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/polar-bear-cub-kali-is-subject-of-childrens-book-20140226

... cool!  cool

~Chris~ 

hermit

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:07 AM »

What a nice book!  I just looked at it on Amazon, and plan to order it for my niece, who loves polar bears.

Thanks, Chrisbigsmile
nightengale

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »

Oh cool hermit!

The boys aren't near to having families of their own .... and I don't have nieces or nephews .... but .... I have to admit, I was thinking of getting a copy too ... just so I have one 

~Chris~ 

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »

I probably shouldn't admit it - but I do have my very own stash of children's books.  Some are quite magical - and I may try to add Kali's Story to my little stash!  love

MaryG

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »

Kali's book club!  nod2  And, Luna and Kali's fan club!  nod2

Wonderful. flower
nightengale

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 07:05:04 PM »

I have been concentrating on my new position and not keeping up with our Buffalo Zoo resident polar bears, Luna and Kali  

.... a week ago, I was surprised to hear that our dear Luna had a fall in September and broke her leg!  

http://www.mpnnow.com/article/20140903/News/140909915

... and there is disturbing speculation that that it might have been secondary to kids taunting zoo animals with a laser that same day in other exhibits  ...

http://wivb.com/2014/09/02/kids-caught-with-laser-beam-at-buffalo-zoo/

... the good news is that she is healing well ... there was a news release on her progress as the polar cubs celebrated their 2nd Birthday approximately a week ago (they celebrate together as no one is sure of Kali's actual B-Day) ......

http://www.wgrz.com/story/life/2014/12/10/luna-polar-bear-cub-buffalo-zoo-leg-birthday/20209497/

Here she is sporting the 'poodle' look on one of her hind legs.....

... I missed my free Zoo visit on Veterans Day .... will have to go in the spring ... love Luna and Kali  

~Chris~ 

hermit

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 03:03:05 AM »

Thank you, Chris.

Poor Luna !  I'm happy to hear that she is doing well, though.

It makes me so sad and angry when people taunt animals.
MaryG

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »

Thank you, Chris.

Poor Luna !  I'm happy to hear that she is doing well, though.

It makes me so sad and angry when people taunt animals.

Could not have said it better. nod2  Bet Luna and Kali are not complaining about the snow! happy
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: