February 20, 2018, 06:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta 2 BC Observations, ScreenShots & Video  (Read 58943 times)
JudyB
Administrator

« on: November 09, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »

This is a new nest for Hancock Wildlife - I'll try to add a bit of history soon.  They raised two chicks in 2010. Smiley

Link to Camera (this is a streaming camera with sound; unfortunately the night vision bulb burned out before the 2013 nesting season, but we hope to have it - and a second cam - for 2014)

The cam is also available on UStream
 - with chat - http://www.ustream.tv/hwfdeltaeagles
 - no chat and resizable in some browsers - http://www.ustream.tv/hwfdeltaeagles/pop-out

2011 Nesting Season
  • eggs laid:  March 3, maybe around 3:35 am, seen at 3:36 pm; March 6, 11:10 am
  • eggs hatch:  April 11, 1:13 pm (39 days); April 12, 10:14 am (37 days)
  • named by local school classes:  Oreo and Jet
  • oops:  Oreo fell or was blown from the nest June 19 (age 69 days) and was rescued and taken to O.W.L.
  • fledge: Jet - July 16 (95 days); Oreo - July 21 from O.W.L.

2012 Nesting Season
  • eggs laid:  around March 3; March 6, 5:17 pm
  • eggs hatch:  April 11, seen 6:15 am (39 days); April 11, 11:29 am (36 days)
  • named in honor of HWF tech person Richard Pitt:  Goldwing and Linux
  • sad news:  Goldwing died during the night of May 31-June 1, perhaps as a result of something that was stuck in her crop
  • fledge: July 3, 3:31 pm (83 days)

2013 Nesting Season
  • eggs laid:  March 7, afternoon; March 10, 3:34 pm
  • eggs hatch:  April 16, 12:44 pm (40 days if #1, 37 days if #2); other egg did not hatch
  • named
  • fledge:

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »

Reserved in case this thread becomes active in the future

beans

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »

Video:  New Delta Eagle Nest

Here’s the story:  One of the eagles was monitoring the rush-hour traffic.  Suddenly, he flew off to ticket a speeder. Wink You can see him in the upper left hand corner of the video.

You can watch this cam at night, too.

Watch the cam on Wild Earth or Hancock Live Cams page

Jean
beans

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »

Video:  Who’s That in the Delta 2 Eagle Nest?

Jean
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »

Great video of the visitors, beans!

One of the adults spent the night on the nest - here's a picture of her sleeping with her head tucked in around 3 am nest time (6 am my time in Maine)

I don't know the pair well enough to know if she's close to egg-laying, or if she just sometimes spends the night on the nest.  She was there when I looked in at 6:15 am pacific time yesterday, though I didn't think to look earlier.  The female at Lafarge has been sleeping standing in the nest on and off for a week or two, so it apparently is something some eagles do - perhaps more so when there are less suitable trees for perching in the area.

(Added - this is actually a picture by nightowl or gemini taken an hour earlier - not sure where my pic went, but it was fairly similar.)

PattiO

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »

JudyB ... you need to put a link for the cam in your first post.  Smiley
beans

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »

Delta 2 Diary  Delta 2 Diary for March 5

The eagle was away from 2:15 to 4:26 PM (local time). I think that may have been Mom the whole time on the nest but can't be sure.  The pictures look a little different, but in the bottom one the head is raised --  on alert.

Jean
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »

I am realizing that I've been a bit remiss in posting the news of this nest here (and I've added the cam link and timeline to the first post - thanks for the reminder, Patti!).

This is the first of our Hancock Cam nests to have an egg - I think she laid it around 3:30 am on March 3rd (I looked in and noticed that she was fluffed up and it looked as if she might have been having contractions - but I was late for breakfast and work, so couldn't stay to watch).  Here's a pic that might show her laying an egg:

And around 3:30 that afternoon, after noticing that she was acting as if she might have an egg, we actually got a glimpse of it!  Here's a great video by lovethebabies showing her turning the egg
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECIku-Hnkj8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECIku-Hnkj8</a>

And we're 99% certain that she laid her second egg at 11:10 am today.

Here's a pic of her in the process of laying the egg:

And here she is turning the eggs - it may require a bit of imagination, but those of us who saw it live are quite convinced we saw both eggs:

nightengale

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »

I just stumbled on this cam, alerted by JudyB's most recent post in the forum history. This looks like one I would like to follow ... thanks JudyB  bigsmile

At a few minutes past 6:00 PM, ET ... Mom briefly was calling out ... no response yet to her calls.

The nest is sure close to a busy highway! ... cars, buses constantly passing by. Doesn't seem to bother Mom.

~Chris~ 
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

PattiO

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

Thank you beans!  I was getting confused!   mhihi  I knew one of these nests had laid an egg but you hadn't mentioned it here, which is why I went over to BCAW to look. 

So this is Delta 2 ... and Delta 1 is no longer online. 
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »

That's correct, Patti - this is a new nest for us to watch this year.

And of course now that I've got everyone excited, the cam seems to be down.  Our tech people are on the job, but it might be morning before they can contact the right people to get things up and running again.

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »

The cam is back up - and Mom and Dad are doing a good job looking after their two eggs.   love

beans

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »

Video:  Turning the Eggs on a Windy Day

Recorded 9:08 AM

1st egg:  3/3

2nd egg:  3/6

first hatch expected:  4/7

Jean
chipmunk

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »

Nice nest, Mom has been  calling out in a quiet way and is ducking her head down as if something is flying over her.  Don't know how she gets any sleep being so close to the highway.  I hope that when the fledglings take their first flight, they go the other way.  Still quietly chirping/calling.
beans

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »

Video:  Hello Branch – Goodbye Wing

1st egg: 3/3
2nd egg: 3/6
Expect hatching to begin 4/7

Recorded at 4:22 PM local time

Jean
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: