January 22, 2018, 03:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Katmai National Park & Preserve, AK  (Read 4930 times)
Sherri

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »

RangerRoy just posted 5 min ago:

"Just in from the lab: 451's deceased cub was a female. They knew that you were all waiting, so the lab
called us with that information a few moments ago. Full necropsy will be done right away."

Here is the link to the chat last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQPmcvwvpk&feature=player_embedded

Sherri

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »

sosad sosad Another bear has died ..... this time an adult male.  it was found after the rangers were there to
take the cub away.  Apparently, those cam watchers that are very familiar with the area noticed a 'lump' on the
spit and brought it to attention.

Posted by Ranger Roy about 30 min ago

The gross necropsy of 451’s cub was completed yesterday. The only lab result that has returned is the rabies test, which was negative. The rest of the report is a description of what the pathologist observed, weight (29.7kg, 65.5lbs) , length (94cm, 37”), etc. As we said in our chat, it will take some time for the remaining lab results to return, so be patient. At some point we will share a more complete interpretation of the cub’s condition, and if it can be determined, the cause of death.

Regarding the mystery lump on the spit: When Michael, Leslie, and Bob arrived yesterday afternoon they found that it was, indeed, an adult male bear. As it was too large for them to move, they collected samples for the state and for the DOI Lab in Wisconsin. Leslie will need some time to identify the bear, but it was not Otis or Lurch (easy to ID them). There was no obvious cause of death. All three biologists are away on other aspects of their jobs today, so I don’t have any further information.

I know that, for many of you, this will be devastating news. It is important to keep in mind that were it not for the cams no one would even know about these deaths. By the time staff would have returned in the spring, scavengers and decay would have removed most signs of these animals. Sure, there may have been a few bones or bone fragments, or some hair, but that would have been the extent of our knowledge. What we have been given is the chance to learn not only more about the how these animals lived, but also how they died. That is a rare opportunity that should help soften the blow of this latest news.

I want to thank all of you for reporting the appearance of the mystery lump. Without your careful observation, we would have never known of it. I have said it before, but it “bears” repeating: You are an amazing, dedicated community of stewards, and you are contributing to a better understanding of the bears of Katmai. Thank you all.

ETA: the live cams are still down
bonbon

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »

Thanks, Sherri.  Very interesting.

(Off topic, sort of:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/26/florida-bear-hunt-ends-after-2-day-season/74612298/  )

Bonnie
Doralyn

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »

Sherri, thanks for bringing the news here of the gross necropsy report and the news that Michael, Leslie, and Bob went back to the area and found what many of us saw on the spit next to the overturned boat after the first visit to collect the cub.

I kept seeing that also, and at one point on Sunday 10/25/15, I saw an adult and two cubs, going along left-to-right in the water, then on the spit till they got to that area. They had been feeding in the water, and now were just strolling along on the land.  When they got to where they could see, and probably smell the bear, the two cubs stood up on their hind legs and the Mother turned immediately away and they all went right back to the left.  I fortunately was capturing some pictures at that time, so I am sure of the date. They did not get close enough to be in contact with the bear, but they were on the same shore that it may have walked on earlier.

I have not seen any other bears down on that area since, not that that is definitive or that I am here watching a lot, but I had been sure to notice that the lump (bear) was still there when I did see far enough to see the overturned boat (turned that way for storage).  I also knew others had communicated the mysterious lump to the rangers.  I am glad that they went and confirmed the death and been able to collect samples for study.  

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
Sherri

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 03:56:29 PM »

Thanks Doralyn........Ranger Roy is asking for pictures showing the deceased male.  He is trying to collect them to get them all into one place.  If you were watching 'live' and have screenshots, you might want to post them.

"Ranger Roy
Checking back briefly: It occurred to me that you might want to post your various pictures and observations regarding the dead spit bear here:

http://katmai-bearcams.wikia.c...

The Wiki site could help keep it all in one place, and make it easy for others to review and improve. Comments fly by so fast that we will all have to live in the basement if we aren't careful."
Sherri

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

RangerRoy Mod  • an hour ago   

After discussing it with staff here and with general concurrence from all of you, we believe that the dead bear on the spit is Bear 868, one of the Wayne Brothers. You can read about him in our eBook here:
http://www.nps.gov/katm/photos

Rest in peace, Bear 868  love
Doralyn

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:13 PM »

i came upon these videos while looking at other things and thought I would bring them here so they don't get "lost" nod2

Ranger Mike Narrates Bear Actions At Katmai - Live Chats
Explore Bears
Published on Sep 21, 2015
Listen to Ranger Mike narrate about bear actions as we watch the beauty of the bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBcDb8oG9hA

Live Chat with Ranger Mike & Leslie Skora - Live Chat
Explore Bears
Published on Sep 29, 2015
Live Chat with Ranger Mike & Leslie Skora 9/29/15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5JfMnrSnO0

"Mum HELP it`s moving" cub"Velcro", 273 + the fish Smiley 9-22-15
markindify
Published on Sep 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJ7uFO7ct0

Sherri

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 05:59:23 AM »

I just realized that I never posted this........

" November 18, 2015

A lab has identified a possible cause of death for one of the two brown bears that died in front of the high-traffic bear cams in Katmai National Park last month.

After thousands of viewers watched a spring cub die in late October, the animal’s remains were sent to a lab in Madison, Wisconsin for a necropsy.

Roy Wood, the Chief of Interpretation at Katmai, says the cub tested positive for canine adenovirus, an infection that is also found in cats, dogs, and wolves." ..................

For the rest of the article, click here
http://www.ktva.com/necropsy-reveals-likely-cause-of-death-for-katmai-bear-cub-390/

..........and this
http://www.nps.gov/katm/blogs/Recent-Bear-Deaths-at-Brooks-River.htm

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »

Thanks, Sherri!  I had wondered, but hadn't found anything the couple of times I'd looked.

Hopefully things will go better for the remaining bears.

Doralyn

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2015, 04:48:15 PM »

Thanks, Sherri.  I looked for this several times, including again last week, on the Katmai site but couldn't find it.  I'm also glad to finally find out why the Brooks Camp cam has been off...ice and snow!!

Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: