January 22, 2018, 03:19:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Katmai National Park & Preserve, AK  (Read 4931 times)
PattiO

« on: July 26, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »

These cams are amazing ... watching the Brown Bears trying to catch the salmon is so fun!!  There's even a female with 3 cubs!  

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls
Sherri

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

I just came upon a very sad situation at Katmai National Park.  sosad
http://explore.org/live-cams/player/river-watch-brown-bear-salmon-cams

A bear cub is very ill and the mother and sibling are staying with it.  From what I can gather, this is the 2nd day.
In the slideshow, you will see them by the road -- then a couple frames later, they leave.  They were only gone for
3 minutes and came back to stay with the cub.  When they came back, the sibling laid across the other one.
It is still breathing and if you scroll down below all the "Explore" cam options, there is a report by the Park Ranger Jeanne,
who participates in the comments section as well.

It may seem crazy but I can feel the Mama's sadness  brokenheart.......watch her for a bit and perhaps you will, too.

Click for slideshow
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/Sherd43/slideshow/Bear%20-%20McNeil%20River/10-23-15%20Katmai?sort=9

Prayers for you, little one  love pray pray
bonbon

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »

What a coincidence, Sherri, I stop by Hog Island a couple times a week - and did so this afternoon.  The osprey chatters were talking about this sad situation.  I can absolutelypositively see sadness in momma bear's eyes and behavior.  Baby sibling looks upset too.   sosad

Bonnie
Sherri

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »

Hi Bonnie --  the wee one has had some movements in the last 10 minutes or so.  The first time almost
looked like a seizure of some sort.  Second time some twitching.
He moved his head from one spot to another though.

Mom and sibling were gone for quite a while, came back and was here when he had that movement but
then left right after that.

ETA
6:31 EDT -   this is when he was doing the moving -- Mom standing over him

Notice different head position

6:33 EDT

ETA 6:52   I have to leave now  --- praying for this little one  love pray
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »

9:33 pm eastern time

Thank you for the heads-up, Sherri - and so sad.  It's wonderful - and powerfully sad - to see Mom and the sibling checking back on the little one who may not be able to go with them towards hibernation.  crying

Sherri

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 03:50:43 AM »

The beautiful little one has passed.   brokenheart  crying
Rest in peace and know you were loved; especially by your Mama.  love

(I have been watching for a while and it appears as though Mama and remaining cub have moved on. She did such
an amazing job of protecting her wee one so that nothing could harm it while it was helpless. Beautiful  love)
There is an account of what transpired in the comments below.  I believe it was not too long after my
last post last night.  I didn't realize that there were three cubs in the beginning of the season......must be especially
hard losing two, based on the behavior I witnessed by her. sosad
bonbon

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 06:18:10 AM »

Thanks for the update, Sherri.
This was posted by one of the chatters on explore.org. 
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hveP5ef9A0Q

Bonnie
Doralyn

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »

I found all your posts about the deceased bear cub and was watching the Mother and cub for a while while working here.  Shortly after 2 pm eastern, Mom moved away, going across the road and over to the water area.  The cub followed her eventually, going down the road to where she was moving near the water and went down toward her.

They moved out of view and then about 2:30 pm  I saw a small boat coming in from out on the open water.  The cam operator then focused in on the approaching craft which reached the inner circle of the water and pulled up to the pier out in the inner circle opposite the road going away from the fork toward the back of the picture.  Three people, 2 men and a woman with a backpack and camera, got off the boat and moved slowly up the path to the fork, one going toward the left where the Mother and cub had gone and two going to the the dead cub, alone on the spot it had been on for so long.  

Before the boat got completely in, a large dark bird was standing on the carcus and other birds were swarming, so it was good that the team came when it did.

After taking many pictures and inspecting the area near the cub, the two picked up the cub and carried it down to the boat with the other man coming back toward them also.  After consulting, the cub was placed onto the boat, and the three took a long, slow walk all over the area looking carefully.  First they went further down the road to the trees and came out of the trees going out on the narrow strip of land to the left, then slowly back to the trees, then up the road and ultimately to the fork and the place where they had found the cub.  A few more pictures were taken, then then they explored the area carefully, including going around and onto the structure seen in the lower right of the picture.  Their steps on the wood and probably stairs could be heard for some time.  

When they came back into view, it was about 3:20 pm and they kept looking around the fork in the road and then slowly went back down the road to the boat and boarded it.

It was about 3:30 pm when they began pulling away from the dock, going to the left and then out toward the right, then turning left again and going by the dark wet land/rock near the water on the far left of the cove where a large bear was moving slowly and sitting.  I don't know if this was the mother.  The cub was not in view.

While I began writing, the cam switched to what appears to be the initial views of the Mother coming toward the downed cub from the left, then the other cub coming up from the left and settling down with the Mom.  Mom and cub are very interactive, but I don't see the downed cub moving. They are all together, very close in contact.  

The cub got up and wandered out across the road to the left, then shortly, made it's way back and setttled down next to Mom, this time on her right side.  The bright glow of the sun made a sunburst on the area as the cub was moving about and then coming back.  Now the sun is gone.  

Note:  I don't see a timestamp, but I am assuming that this was yesterday that I am seeing on the video now.  The line at the bottom says in red "live" but the dead cub is there and I just saw it removed, so they must be replaying the event from the beginning.  

Also, during the recovery, someone was moving the cam remotely, like always, as the team moved about, and as the boad slowly moved off, finally, to the left and past the area where the lone, large bear settled down on the shore as the boat went away and out of sight.

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
Doralyn

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

4:46 pm EDT  The boat coming in at this time appears to be a replay of the collection and investigation of the dead cub.

Sherri

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »

Doralyn, thanks so much for your wonderful narrative of what you saw when watching 'live'.  I had to leave early this
morning and thought about them all day, wondering if staff would get there before vultures/eagles or whatever got
to the cub.  Thankfully, they did.   I believe I read that they planned on a necropsy as they had no idea why the
cub got sick.  
The time that I saw what I perceived as a seizure wasn't too long before the wee one passed.  I would like to
know the cause so hope they will have answers.
Amazing mother bear -- I wish some humans could care for their young as she did. love

Bonnie, thank you for the video -- it really is heartwarming but I do think I'll have to go back to it another
day and watch again as I can't seem to get through the sadness of the little one passing.
I feel very bad for the people who follow the cam on a daily basis -- I only watched yesterday and kind of 'stumbled'
on it.  I "thought" I was going to get away from some of the daily stresses here and watch the bears fishing,
which is usually a fun thing.  sosad
Sherri

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

Just when I thought I could not feel any more sadness over this beautiful bear family, I was proven very, very wrong.  crying
Slideshow (below) starts with Mama 451 and cub resting across the road from where they were last night with the sick cub.

They stayed there for a bit then got up and headed to the water – cub was inquisitive near the platform while mother waited out of view.  He finally followed her.  

They stayed at the water for a few minutes then came back – right to the spot where they lay with the sick cub.  Mama sniffed all around the spot and you can see some of the caps where both she and the little one were sniffing the air attempting to get a scent of the passed baby.  At one point, Mama pawed at the ground moving some grass.

Sherri

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 05:56:41 PM »

(continued)

Mama apparently got the scent and they moved up the road………the comments indicate that they stopped and stayed right at the spot where the cub was set down prior to going on the boat (Doralyn, since you watched live, I guess you can verify that).

They stayed there for a bit then finally moved into the bush

(I couldn’t watch after that to see whether they came back out……my emotions have run dry! crying)

Click for slideshow -  6:46 thru 8:11 PM EDT
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/Sherd43/slideshow/Bear%20-%20McNeil%20River/10-24-15%20Slideshow?sort=9
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »

Oh gosh - I just got here, and think my emotions have run dry (though my eyes have not) - I am happy to learn that they will do a necropsy - and am hoping that all will be will with the remaining cub.
 group hug

Doralyn

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »

Mama apparently got the scent and they moved up the road………the comments indicate that they stopped and stayed right at the spot where the cub was set down prior to going on the boat (Doralyn, since you watched live, I guess you can verify that).

Yes, Sherri, this is exactly where the two put the cub down the first time.  They got out a long black plastic bag and the third person (the boat driver) shook it out, but then he just took the bag over and put it into the boat while the other two picked the cub up again and carried it into the front of boat.

I was just watching them again for a bit and Momma and cub were out in the water on the little sand bar, then Momma went further into the water and the cub followed her.  It is able to swim and keep near her.  They are surrounded by ducks and there are loons there too! It's a lovely water home!

Doralyn

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 12:11:18 PM »

I was looking in to see it there was more to report on Momma 451 and the cub and so far only see many different bears there, an adult and two cubs out on the strip beyond the inner water and two adults and a smaller one of different colors (one of them very light) neat the fork in the road and down the pathway and into the weeds).

Here is all I have found so far:
AK Guide > scruffysmom  • 22 minutes ago  (at 3:04pm EDT, so about 2:48 pm EDT)

Based on my experience...so many things could have gone wrong with the recovery effort. Timing was perfect as that lake can become very dangerous very quickly. Mother gave a perfect window of opportunity as well. Things do not always goes so well, in the wilderness of AK. This effort was perfectly timed, and carried out. I believe it possible that this recovery may have already revealed very important information.

Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: