January 22, 2018, 03:05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eaglet naming, May 7, 2013  (Read 7124 times)
chipmunk

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »

blush2 Gosh I feel awful.  The notes I had from Pelican is that Skype A65 had a broken wing and eventually drowned in a kelp field sosad and that Spirit was found dead near (can't think of the word) the enclosure where they both took their first flight.  Thanks JudyB I am so glad he is alive........so...........

Gentle, go for it, I'll vote for that name flower flower.
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »

Ah-ha - thanks for explaining, Chipmunk, and I think I know how the confusion happened.  A second eaglet that came from a nest that blew down somewhere on the mainland was put in the hacking tower with Spirit - and that's the eaglet that died shortly after they were released.  Skye was released a few weeks later. 

LakeMaMa

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »

Gentle, I think the big one is female also. bigsmile I am still undecided on one so I Will be back tomorrow. bigsmile

Life is precious....all of life.
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »

I'm never sure how anyone can tell the gender of eaglets other than that the first to hatch is often female (no idea why that should be the case, though). Other than that, we have no real way of knowing. The first is obviously larger because it hatched 3 or 4 days before the second.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
LakeMaMa

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »

Birdnerd,

Don't take my comment literally. lollol
Although they say that the first is female, we never really know and we will never know unless the two come back together and we can compare them on size dimorphism as we do now or if we could get a beak and hallux measurement later on. Not bloody likely, but it is kind of fun to think that one is acting like a particular sex at times, why I made the comment. lollol

Right now, it is not possible for us to ascertain which is which as a cam viewer.

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »

I recently went looking for the study I'd seen years ago suggesting that the first chick was female a bit more than half the time - and found that recent studies are suggesting that it's more complicated than that - and that the first may be male more often when food is scarce.  I haven't had time to read the more recent reports - but have stopped saying that the older is usually female, pending further research.  mhihi

LakeMaMa

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »

JudyB, this would be a terrific study to do for us now and post wherever y'all would like us to. I hope that we can find some new and current studies.

Still contemplating names...
I am voting for one suggested on this thread already and the only other one that has stuck with me since the get go is, 'Echo.' Though, I am afraid it may have been used quite a bit with other nests but I am thinking of the lake up there in Acadia. I love Rascal, since our older one is such as he/she is, but not for a name for a bird. lollol

So maybe Laura, my only entry would be Echo and I will vote for another I like as well. flower

#1 - Echo

Sherri

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 03:59:57 AM »

Laura, when will the suggestions for names be closed?

.....and when you set up the polls, can you add a specific time that the voting will be closed?
That way it will avoid any controversy.......everyone will know when they have to have their votes in.
Like, 'You snooze, you lose'  lollol
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 06:08:39 AM »

Sherri I am about to start to put together the poll and set it up to run from about midday nest time, that's in about 3 hours, I hope that gives everyone enough time to offer their suggestions. The poll will run for 3 days until about midday on Wednesday 15th May. How does that sound?

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »

I recently went looking for the study I'd seen years ago suggesting that the first chick was female a bit more than half the time - and found that recent studies are suggesting that it's more complicated than that - and that the first may be male more often when food is scarce.  I haven't had time to read the more recent reports - but have stopped saying that the older is usually female, pending further research.  mhihi

I know this thread is for naming the eaglets and I have info on gender BUT I'm not sure where to post it, so I'll post it here and y'all can do what you want with it -

< -snip- >

Shoe, thanks for giving your permission to move your post, and I'm moving it here:

Eagle/Raptor Newspaper Stories, Articles and Information  (under Nest News and Announcements, in the Welcome area at the top of the Index Page)

We have a few other studies and general information on eagles there, amongst the newspaper stories of general interest.  I think at some point we may want to split that thread - so news stories are in one thread and research/reference material is in another.  But that's a discussion for another place and another day! Smiley

birdnerd57

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »

I did a lot of searching for mostly Native American names but couldn't find two that I liked that went together well. I really like one that has been submitted already for #1 so I will only suggest my choice for #2. It is actually for a female but we can keep that quiet!  wink2

#2 ARLETTE: Probably a Norman French double diminutive form of the German word arn "eagle," hence "tiny little eagle."
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »

I've set both polls up now to run for 3 days.  innocent They are both situated in this topic.

Eaglet #1
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=284.0

Eaglet #2
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=283.0

lovethebabies

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »

I like:
#1 Spirit
#2 Hope or Killian which means quiet warrior.  Lil has been a very quiet baby!

Darlene, Langley, BC
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »

lovethebabies, no more suggestions are going to be included now - the poll has opened, so go there and vote for your favorites  love  See my previous post for links to the polls.

BarbInFlorida

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »

I seem to have missed the whole thing.   sosad  One can't drag one's feet, can one.  mhihi

It is wonderful that at this point, we have two little ones to name.

Barb
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: