January 22, 2018, 03:10:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eaglet naming, May 7, 2013  (Read 7127 times)
Sherri

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »

Eaglet #1     Trip .......(due to his love of traveling)

Eaglet #2     Moxie.....(definition: The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage)

My choice for #2 was submitted last year by one of our members (believe it was LizzieB).
I liked it then and still do.  Also, when I was a kid, my uncle had a summer camp on Moxie Lake in Maine. bigsmile
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 01:48:42 AM »

My choices:

#1 -  Minty
#2 -  Sparky

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
chipmunk

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 02:05:26 AM »

#1 - Magic

#2 - Cloud

Spirit and Skye, Eaglets at the Pelican Harbor nest were attacked by a rogue eagle and knocked out of their nest.  As a result,  both are dead.   I strongly disagree that any eaglets should be named after a deceased eaglet especially these two that we loved so much and had to watch this horror unfold.
gentlespirit

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 08:08:49 AM »

Ok follow up on my choice of Spirit ~ first off I do not watch the Pelican Harbor nest, so sorry about what happened  sosad

Anyhow, in 2010 - as some of you know I almost lost my life in a fire, I am permanately scarred from this fire, but I recall during the course of my recovery someone mentioning that we should name one of the eaglets IF we ever had them here, Gentle or Spirit. That truly touched me, and last year when we finally had a nesting pair with eaglets I was too shy to suggest those names. It just seemed weird to ask for it   blush2 

I don't know, I lost my home, almost my life, definitely my life the way it used to be, and last year was the start of my "new" life. The only thing that really has not changed in my life is my "LOVE" of the Eagles, and following this nest. It has taken all of "my" Spirit & faith to perservere and move forward & basically start over. Now maybe some of you do not like Spirit for whatever reasons, that's fine. I don't suspect it's going to happen anyhow  nope lollol

I do like Moxie for #2  wink2
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »

Actually, chipmunk, A64/Spirit is alive and well and living on Santa Cruz - and as of mid-April, he and his mate A49/Cruz appear to have a chick!  They did lose a chick shortly after hatching last year so we're holding our breath a bit, but the little one looked to be about a week old the last time a team from the Institute for Wildlife Studies checked the nest (which they do from a long way off, using a powerful scope), so we're hoping all will be well for them.

I also watched the attack on the nest - and was amazed that the chicks survived after being hit so forcefully and knocked from the nest.  And both were in rehab for a while before being returned to the island for release from a hacking tower there - definitely traumatic for the eagles and the viewers.  And then A65/Skye died about 6 weeks after fledging.  sosad  Happily Spirit did survive and seems to be developing into a fine young adult!

Wonderful suggestions, everyone - it's going to be hard to pick just one per chick!

A1ladya

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »

Gentlespirit, what a touching story.  mhihi  Yes, I agree Spirit should be the name of the first one, wink2 but do like the "Hope" thing for the 2nd chick. We are still giving lot of "Hope" for the survival of the 2nd chick.  pray

clap1 for Spirit
LakeMaMa

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 08:39:46 AM »

Can we start a new thread for names, Laurad, so that we just see the proposed names listed? bigsmile

Life is precious....all of life.
gentlespirit

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »

Now I feel like an idiot for even posting that, when you start your new thread just leave my suggestions out. Bye ~
Shoebutton

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »

Now I feel like an idiot for even posting that, when you start your new thread just leave my suggestions out. Bye ~

Ahhh Gentle, don't feel that way.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with your post.  Hugs to you!

♥♥♥ "Laughter Is An Instant Vacation" ♥♥♥ Milton Berle
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »

The names will be listed on the poll threads when we're ready to vote, LMM.  

I think the idea here is to have a place to explain why we're suggesting the names we're suggesting.  For instance, not everyone has heard of Moxie (the Maine-made soda that's definitely an acquired taste!), so it wouldn't be obvious that there is a Maine connection to the name.   bigsmile

It is sort of amazing how invested we all get in the naming of the little ones we watch - I've seen major dust-ups on several forums, so it definitely is a common occurrence.  Happily we're all friends here, and with a bit of luck we'll continue to be friends.  love

(Off topic - sort of - has anyone read Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series?  The newly-hatched dragons communicate telepathically - and the first thing they do is tell their chosen human rider what their name is!  It's a shame eaglets can't do that - it might simplify things if #1 popped up a thought balloon that said "hi - my name is ______!")

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »

Can we start a new thread for names, Laurad, so that we just see the proposed names listed? bigsmile

As Judyb says, in a few days I'll make the two polls and each of us will be able to then vote for the favorites. I am making note of everyone's suggestions. I'll try to do it on Sunday and let the poll run for about 3 days.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
birdnerd57

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »

What is the concensus of the chicks genders? I haven't noticed anyone really saying and would like to pick appropriate names.
gentlespirit

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »

Thanks Judyb & Shoe, sorry I got sensitive ~  blush2

Nerdy I think the Big one is female & wee one is male - JMO  wink2
LakeMaMa

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »

Gentle flower, I was not posting to anyone or anyone's post here in particular.hug puzzled2

I just cannot see a bloody thing these days and was just asking for a roll of names. dunno

The poll will highlight the names nicely this weekend for everyone. I am off.  bigsmile

Life is precious....all of life.
Shoebutton

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »

What is the concensus of the chicks genders? I haven't noticed anyone really saying and would like to pick appropriate names.

We won't know the gender of the eaglets, so we try to pick names that will "fit" either gender.

♥♥♥ "Laughter Is An Instant Vacation" ♥♥♥ Milton Berle
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: