December 11, 2017, 04:03:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog Island ME Osprey Cam  (Read 70614 times)
bonbon

« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »

H.I. Update Posted approx. 3pm:
Dear osprey friends:
I spent a few hours today watching Bailey at her nest and I am pleased to share the news that at 1:05 PM EDT, one of Bailey’s parents swooped into the Porthole platform with a sculpin-shaped fish and delivered it to Bailey. Bailey ate the fish without aid from the parent, who sat in the nest with Bailey for about 15 minutes. Toward the end of the feeding, the parent fed the chick. I was watching with Eric at the time and because of the angle and lighting, we could not be sure of which parent it was, but it is certainly good to know that Bailey is being fed and looking very good with the new view of the world. The position of the Porthole platform offers a clean fledging path to the sea and Bailey is eyeing the water as wing exercising continues with two strong wings that will soon greet the wind and Maine sky. I have photos and will send them later. My best, Steve

Bonnie
Sherri

« Reply #286 on: August 02, 2017, 05:14:37 AM »

Thanks Bonnie  flower

Here are the photos that Steve Kress took that are referenced in above post.  Thank you Steve

"And here are maps to show you the area with all three nests: the main nest on Hog Island, the Boathouse nest and new nest
on the Porthole Lodge with Bailey, as well as our nest history chart, with all data from 2012 to 2017:"

If interested in the history of the nest, go here:

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/osprey-nest

And finally, in case you would like to make a donation, these are the websites of Audubon Hog Island and Friends of Hog Island, responsible - amongst others - for the dedicated volunteers: 

http://hogisland.audubon.org/
http://fohi.org/

Well deserved donation to this amazing group of people that do so much!
Sherri

« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2017, 05:25:57 AM »

"Meanwhile, Rachel and Steve built a so-called frustration nest on top of the Crown Royal, the ship, mooring in the bay, just in
front of the regular HI nest. It is not a real nest, just an assemblance of sticks, not able to keep Bailey safe at the moment. However, she will
enjoy the CR as a new hangout after her fledge, since it has a wonderful 360° view over Muscongus Sound."

Here is the Crown Royal (or Royale) as they reference on the chat
(Typical of a Maine morning fog  bigsmile )

View from the boat house cam

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »

Thanks for the updates, Sherri and Bonnie!  I do hope there's no more drama there - Bailey has had so many challenges in her young life.

Sherri

« Reply #289 on: August 03, 2017, 03:29:35 AM »

Judy, you're welcome and for sure hoping no other upsets for this little chick.  Got to wonder if she thinks this is what life
is going to be for her.  It certainly has given her some insight as to what can happen.

From Poppy this morning:
"Hello, osprey peeps!

No new reports and pictures from Steve Kress than those per August 1st, which is understandable, since it was too foggy on HI,
almost the entire day. So here are the latest news and some additions from my part, a bit further down."

Pages:  1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: