January 22, 2018, 03:18:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eaglet naming May 14, 2012  (Read 7323 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« on: May 14, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »

Several of us have been wondering about finding names we can use to refer to these adorable new eaglets. We thought we might start a thread here for some of your suggestions. This is all to be meant in a light-hearted way for naming the chicks on our forum. They would be 'unofficial names' of course.

We have two eaglets so we would need your suggestions for both. These would then be entered into two polls in which you would then be able to choose two names each. The names with the most votes would then be given to the chicks.

How does this sound?

Add all your suggestions here and then we'll find a way to amalgamate them into the polls and set it up for a vote. It will be our first poll on this Forum, I think.  mhihi

At the moment we are referring to the eldest as #1 and the second as #2.

I had suggested Fiver for #1 because we waited 5 years for this eaglet.

I'm going to add names here as they come in and then make 2 polls later:

Eaglet No. 1
Fiver
Eden
Peace
Maina
Serenity
Halo
Big Bopper (BB)
Peckie
Bossie Boots
BB   -  Could be Big Bopper or Bossy Boots  mhihi

Eaglet No. 2
Geddy
Happiness (Happi)
Moxie
Hope
Izzy

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Lori

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »

Thanks so much Laura. I think this is a great idea. We've all waited such a long time for this so I definitely think this will be so much fun. I hope that everyone will think up their favorite names to submit.   applause

Laura .. When we used to name the Cali. eaglets, they would have the name submission time frame open for about a week and then they would set up a poll for each eaglet. Is that what we're doing?

I knew one of the names that I liked but I had to think of a name for eaglet #2.

For eaglet #1 .. Eden
This was the original name of Bar Harbor. First settled in 1763 by Israel Higgins and John Thomas, the community was incorporated on February 23, 1796 as Eden, after Sir Richard Eden, an English statesman. 

For eaglet #2 .. Geddy
I originally thought Acadia but I like Geddy. It's famous there!  lollol

Come on everyone... Let's get bunches of name ideas for these eaglets. They deserve it. bigsmile

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »

Thank you, too Lori for helping to bring this to the fore.

I'm going to add the names, as they come in, to the first post. Yes, we can keep this going for about a week - perhaps until Monday 21st, or earlier?

Shoebutton

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »

Eaglet No. 1
Peace

Eaglet No. 2
Happiness ( "Happi" for short nickname)

♥♥♥ "Laughter Is An Instant Vacation" ♥♥♥ Milton Berle
LizzieB

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »

Eaglet 1:  Maina
grace & elegance as seen by ballerina Maina Geilgud

Eaglet 2:  Moxie
I am told this is the State Soft drink for Maine (am perfectly open to correction!)

The bird thinks it a favor to give the fish a lift in the air
(Rabindranath Tagore 1861-1941)
JoAnn

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »

Laura, thanks for starting this.  Does it matter the sex of the chick?

Serenity and Hope.....that's what came to my mind first.........just my 2 cents...

Changed it a little....Night all

Jo
PattiO

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »

I am terrible at thinking of names ... even though I like when we have names for the chicks.  It's just nicer and fun to refer to them by a name than just #1 & #2 .. or biggie and little .. etc.

I've been to Maine once .. a week long vacation on Acadia ... spent lots of time in Bar Harbor.  Lori, you told me something I didn't know ... Eden. Smiley  And Geddy's was my favorite restaurant to visit!  Smiley  (still have my frisbie!)  nod2

So unless I have an epiphany ... I like Lori's names!   biggergrin2
Sherri

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:28:16 AM »

I like Lori's name of Eden for #1 but will submit

Izzy for #2 (nickname for Israel)  bigsmile
(keeping in the theme of settlement, first settled in 1763 by Israel Higgins and John Thomas)
hermit

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »

I don't have any suggestions, but this is a wonderful idea!   clap1  thumbsup1
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »

I'm also not good at thinking of names - and am enjoying all the suggestions.  It's going to be hard to choose!

gentlespirit

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »

#1 - "Halo"
        usually in the form of a disk, circle, ring, or rayed structure, traditionally representing a radiant light around or above the head of a divine or sacred personage. The eagles are sacred, and often we see circles of light around their heads.

#2 - Not sure yet?

JoAnn

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »

I say "Bully" for #1..........she is relentless in keeping #2 from eating...such a bully.

Jo
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »

Maybe we shouldn't be too hard on her.. it's in her DNA, she can't help it...  nope

Perhaps we can find a kinder name for her... Peckie... Bulli... no matter how hard it is for us to watch, we know it's "natural".

We just want to give her a hug and tell her that they can both survive and won't it be great to have a sibling to keep her company as she grows up... so stop pecking on your sibling?   innocent

hermit

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:14:51 AM »

I like LizzieB's suggestion of Moxie for #2.  The dictionary says, "The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage".  Also synonyms: determination, stamina, tenacity.  He certainly has all of these.

#1  question  Big Bopper  rolleyes2  BB for short.   mhihi
JoAnn

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 05:18:40 AM »

I like LizzieB's suggestion of Moxie for #2.  The dictionary says, "The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage".  Also synonyms: determination, stamina, tenacity.  He certainly has all of these.

#1  question  Big Bopper  rolleyes2  BB for short.   mhihi

I also like Moxie for #2, it certainly fits him.  bigsmile I'm still not sure on #1, maybe Peckie as Laura suggested as that also fits her. rolleyes2 and Laura I'll try to remember that it is "natural" it's just hard to watch. nono2

Jo
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: