March 29, 2024, 03:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Technical Help  (Read 70116 times)
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »

Thanks, Chris!  I'll give that a try!

PattiO

« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »

I never even knew I had Windows Movie Maker on my computer!   blush2 lollol  But I still don't have a program to actually take the videos.  One of these days!   rolleyes2
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »

Patti, I use a free one called CamStudio.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »

I recently asked for help on how to embed videos on the BRI Ning site and Judyb very kindly wrote the following.

To embed a video on the ning site, go to your video on YouTube and there should be a "share" button/link somewhere.  Click that, and there's a button for Embed.  Click that, then choose a size (I tend to chose something fairly small - partly because I usually record from a window no wider than 500 pixels, and partly because the column there isn't that wide), then copy the code from the box.  Go to the ning site, and one of the icons looks sort of like a piece of film - click that and it says to paste the code from YouTube etc - paste the code and click OK.  You can add text before or after before you post your comment.

Thank you.

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »

I posted this on the Eagle Cam 1 thread in response to a comment, and suggested people post follow-up questions here, so I'm posting my original remarks here as a starting point.

Off topic here, but important enough that I want everyone to see it - at places like Best Buy or Staples you can usually find external hard drives for under $100.  Almost anything will work with a PC; if you have a Mac, you need to make sure it will work with the operating system you have without reformatting or other things that are fully do-able, but will slow you down while you're on a roll.  Mac-formatted external drives may be more expensive (no reason except that there aren't as many of them).  Some of the drives include software that will automatically back up everything; others let you copy whatever you want manually.  I'm happy to answer questions on the tech thread if the instructions don't make sense, or if you're not sure what's best for you.  My suggestion is to initially back up everything that's important to you, then find a place other than your house to store the drive - our complete backups are at Charlie's Mom's house.  It's not something that any of us want to think about, but if you're robbed or something happens to your house, you'll still have your files.

The next step is to buy something smaller to save important files between full backups; I have a couple of hard drives about the size of a paperback book that hold a lot of data, and I can stick them in my desk drawer at work when we go out of town - but I have a lot of large files (we record Charlie's CDs at home, and the basic tracks are huge - and Charlie does a lot of graphics - again huge).  For average use, including a lot of screen shots, a thumb drive will work just fine, and if you look around at a couple of stores with tech stuff (and that includes places like Target or Wal-Mart) you can often find 16-GB drives for under $10.

If an external hard drive is out of the question price-wise, start with a thumb drive and back up what's most important - baby pictures of the new grandchild, your checkbook data if you use Quicken or one of those online programs, the novel that you're secretly writing - whatever.  Keep in mind that thumb drives are fragile - as soon as you can, buy a second one and copy the same stuff to it, in case the first one fails.  (External hard drives are less fragile - but it's still better to have two, and alternate them so one has everything, and the other is only a few months old.  But I'm big on redundancy - if they made suspenders for women (and if I didn't have woman-type hips) I'd probably wear suspenders with my belts, just in case.  rolleyes2 )

Sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread - but I've had computers fail a couple of times, and do feel strongly about this.  As mentioned before, please use the tech thread for follow-up questions.  Thanks!

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2012, 01:43:43 AM »

I completely agree and endorse Judy's thorough message above.

Hard drives are so much cheaper now than they used to be. At least you get more for your money. We bought our very first USB external thumb drive (the size of a small lighter) when they first came out. It cost about $70 and only held 250 Mb. I loved it and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! I still use it when I am out and about and need to carry small files or copy things from work to bring home, although I now use DropBox for a lot of things like that.

Now, for about the same money, or as Judyb said, about $100 I bought a 2 Terabyte external Drive. I also have a 250 Gig drive and I pretty much do what Judy suggested, back up everything in one go. Then I use a program on the computer called Backup & Restore and I have it set to do a daily backup automatically of any file that changes or is new. It's called an incremental backup. Every now and again that file gets too big, so it automatically starts a new one. I then have two backups or more and have to then delete the old ones.

I know it seems like a lot of trouble, but once you have a system going it just does it automatically and every now and again I chec that it is in fact doing what it it suppose to be doing. Things can always go wrong. The USB might have become disconnected or the power cable could have. The drive might not be working, etc.

I'm not as cautious as Judyb, though and have not parked a backup drive at someone else's house, but can understand why she has. If someone stole my PC and external drive I would lose so much of my work. I used to put things on CDs, but have stopped doing that now.

hermit, what sort of things would you want to back up? What do you use your computer for? If you have photos or documents, then a small external hard drive would be ideal. You could just manually copy things over to it using Windows Explorer or My Computer (in the case of a PC).

beans

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »

So embarrassing.  I've forgotten how to do a smart link for YouTube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQloo-9Ig9I&t=60s

What should I remove to make this a smart link?

Jean
Doralyn

« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »

Hi, Beans,

Hyperlink formula is here:

http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=97.15

Reply #20

"...that compulsive old scribbler, the universe, jots down another day."
  - "Moose in the Morning, Northern Maine," Mona Van Duyn
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2017, 01:37:40 AM »

So embarrassing.  I've forgotten how to do a smart link for YouTube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQloo-9Ig9I&t=60s

What should I remove to make this a smart link?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQloo-9Ig9I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQloo-9Ig9I</a>

Hi Beans, nice to see you - it has been ages. I hope you're well. The way to share a YouTube video is:

1. Open the YouTube page where you have uploaded the video.
2. Bottom left under the image, click on "share"
3. Under all the options for sharing there will be a hyperlink, e.g., "https: // youtube/...." (without spaces). All you want from that link is the last set of numbers and letters, i.e., uQloo-9lg9l in your case. Copy it (or copy the whole link and delete the rest).
4. Paste into your message and then surround the letters and numbers with the YouTube tag. [ YouTube]... [ /YouTube] (without the spaces).

Hope this helps.

Pages:  1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: