April 26, 2024, 05:22:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Mac iPhone, iPad discussion  (Read 9971 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« on: June 23, 2011, 01:05:43 AM »

More and more people are acquiring iPhone and iPads. This is a place to add your tips, ask your questions and to generally discuss Mac technology.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:14:22 AM »

I haven't got it yet, still researching, but will be getting either a tablet/i-Pad or a small netbook. Then it will be easier to keep up with forums and cams and emails when I'm out of town. Smiley If any of you have one of these, which do you prefer? I thought I might prefer a netbook because it has a proper keyboard, but the i-Pads have apps and a touch screen which would be nice for viewing photos and websurfing.

I replaced my phone yesterday, and while in the apple store, talking to the "personal setup tech" about his job at Apple, it seems he also is often teaching about iPads.  well....I had some questions for him!!!  he was most helpful with some ideas of why one might want one!!!  (most interesting to me was the things it can help with picture organization.....I have thousands to sort/edit).  I've long admitted I do not NEED ONE!!! I have a computer and a phone. NEED has nothing to do with it.  I like judyb's description:  even though I have no earthly reason to get one, an iPad is on my "frivolous purchase" wish list

so, I happened to wander by the iPad table on the way out the door, and of course got waylaid!!!  played a bit....entered "eagle nest, hancock" on utube app and suddenly there was whiterock nest and the eagle screeching, which got the attention of those at the table!!  the nest looked FABULOUS on the ipad screen!!!  I spoke to a customer who was buying one for her 84yo mother!!!! 

I will be getting one sometime hopefully, and want to get phone fully functional first.

BOP, do you have apple store near by??  its fun just to go look at the different sizes etc.  happy birthday, by the way.
yes, i know i am a week behind here....sorry
I think you'll love the iPad, jwnix and birdofprey. It's one of those "gadgets" that lives up to expecations in nearly every way. It's lovely to handle, sleek, robust, boots instantly, is always online (if you choose it to be), clicking the "home" button and 2 seconds later it springs to life and downloads emails, or goes on the internet. It's light and easy to carry around, to see and use. Can you tell... I love my iPad. I've never touched Macs before but I'm impressed.

There are things I don't like, believe it or not..  lollol The keyboard is very touch-sensitive and it's impossible to touch-type, so for me it's very frustrating and slow to tap out text with two fingers. Some webcams won't work, especially if they use Flash - but there are ways around this - you can purchase another app that will enable them, but you have to wait each time you want to open a cam for it to configure and read the Flash before it can display it.

I am intrigued about the photo sorting, jwnix. As far as I can tell, you can't do anything with the photos, unless the new iPads have the means to do so. All I can do is copy them over from the PC and they arrive synchronised in whatever way they are on the PC. I was horrified one day when I wanted to copy a new folder of photos from another location on my PC only to find that in synchronising, it removed all the other photos and just added the new ones. Now I have a folder on the PC which mirrors what I want on the iPad - it means having multiple copies of images, which is not an answer, not great. So do tell.. how does the iPad help with sorting of images? I would have thought it would have been a lot quicker on a PC.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: