December 11, 2017, 04:18:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 415 416 [417]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Friendly Chat, Creative & Information Thread  (Read 749923 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #6240 on: November 15, 2017, 01:55:21 AM »

Maybe it's just a fluke that I have no advets then. I can understand how frustrating it must have been for you and now worrying that they are threatening to cut the links.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Sherri

« Reply #6241 on: November 15, 2017, 03:28:46 AM »

Sherri, here is a thumnail of a picture I took a few weeks ago of a gull in our river in North Devon as an example of a recent image uploaded to Photobucket. I see no adverts when I upload the picture or when I view the thumbnail or full sized imaged.

Thanks for doing that, Laura.   Nice picture.
It's very odd as the links to all your older pictures are gone........

Example is your post of March 25, 2017 on the Blackwater osprey thread.
http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=58.msg112935#msg112935

Hermit, I sent Chris an email.  bigsmile
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #6242 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »

Wow, Sherri, I hadn't realized. I think it's incredibly mean of them - maybe for future customers they should charge, but this is just too bad, very sad.

I noticed on a post in the same thread by Judyb http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=58.msg100462#msg100462 that no image at all exists, nothing. I think this is unconnected though as the host for these images will be Hancock Wildlife.

Also on one of my posts from February 2014 http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index.php?topic=58.msg100462#msg100462 one image out of six still exists, but the others have been blanked out. Indeed when I click on the "Please update your account.. " image it takes me to a larger image saying the same thing. I see the thumbnails are intact in my Photobucket library, but the larger images have been replaced with that notification.

It's very sad, too many images posted everywhere to be able to replace them all. Thanks for looking into this and I wonder what we can all do. One solution, although I'm not really in favour of it as it is so expensive, would be to have one account paid for by a collection from us all, and all upload to the same account if we want to post images on this Forum. Just a thought.

hermit

« Reply #6243 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »

Sherri, thank you for sending Chris an email.  I hope you get a reply.
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #6244 on: November 16, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

Judy, on the Hancock site all the images are posted on their servers - does this mean the servers are groaning under the weight of photos and videos or is there enough capacity?

Hi Laura, Sherri, Patti and all!  Sorry I haven't been back, and just popping in quickly.  Last I knew there were well over a million images uploaded to the Hancock Wildlife forum.  Happily they are considered a priority for research, and they just keep adding hard drives. 

We could allow them to be uploaded here (that is an option with this software, isn't it Laura?) - and given how few of us are posting, I think it would be years before it became an issue (the type of account we have for hosting the forum has a loosely defined limit - if there are so many it starts slowing down their servers, we'd get a warning to cut back). 

It won't help with all the pictures that have been posted in the past (unless people have them stored or want to take the time to download them from PhotoBucket, perhaps one at a time, and then post them here) - but would let us have a place for pictures going forward.  Thoughts?

And as for the pictures that are linked to the Hancock forum and have disappeared - our (HWF) server had a major crash on October 31st, and is still not back online.  From what I've heard, the data is safe - but so far our tech people have not been able to get the server functioning again so it can connect to the internet.  We had been planning to move to a new website and forum over the winter, and archive the old one (it was very old and would be almost impossible to update to more current versions of the software needed to run things) - and we're moving that timetable forward.  I'm not sure, but I suspect the picture links will not come back when the current/soon to be former forum comes back online, because it will probably have a different name (like archive.hancockwildlife.org) though until they get it running, we won't know for sure. 

We have a great tech person working on the new website (it will be using WordPress, which is a common software for websites but not one I know especially well, so I'm trying to learn how it all works) - and the new forum will use phpBB, which I think is what the old Maine forum used, and also a forum software that I and several of the other admins at HWF have experience with, as they used it for the older old forum from 2006 until early 2010.  The tech person will get things set up - and will be available to help - but the idea is that our rather small crew will do most of the work.  Which means I won't be here that much for the next few weeks while all this happens.  We had been planning a much slower transition - but perhaps the good news is that everyone will be so happy to have some sort of forum back again that they won't mind having to learn stuff all over again.

We do have a new page for viewing our cams - http://hwf.simian-studios.ca/live-cams/ - and I expect that the URL will change from simian-studios (which belongs to the tech person) to hancockwildlife soon.

I like learning new things - but not at this pace....  faint

Sherri

« Reply #6245 on: November 16, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »

Sherri, thank you for sending Chris an email.  I hope you get a reply.

Hermit, you're welcome ...........I have not heard from her as yet.
Sherri

« Reply #6246 on: November 16, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »

...........It won't help with all the pictures that have been posted in the past (unless people have them stored or want to take the time to download them from PhotoBucket, perhaps one at a time, and then post them here) - but would let us have a place for pictures going forward.  Thoughts?

Judy, I won't begin to try to understand any of the tech stuff and I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. lol
............are you saying we could possibly post on Hancock then bring the photos here?   If so, an incredible and generous offer.

I'm sorry Hancock has been having difficulty........but sadly, also sure it means a heck of a lot more work for you!
........nice set up for viewing the cams!
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #6247 on: November 16, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »

No - I'm saying we might be able to post the photos directly here - as long as there are only a dozen or so of us, and everyone agrees that except for exciting days, we'll try to not have more than 10-12 pictures a day (and often less).  One needs lots of pictures when an egg is hatching or when a chick gets first feeding or something like that - but not so much when they are eating regularly, and the activity can be mostly described with a couple of pictures.  If you know what I mean....   whistle

And thanks for reaching out to Chris.  She hasn't been on Facebook for a while, but isn't there much anyway, so that doesn't mean much.  Keeping fingers crossed that she's mostly just too busy to post.

Sherri

« Reply #6248 on: November 17, 2017, 06:04:20 AM »

No - I'm saying we might be able to post the photos directly here - as long as there are only a dozen or so of us, and everyone agrees that except for exciting days, we'll try to not have more than 10-12 pictures a day (and often less).  One needs lots of pictures when an egg is hatching or when a chick gets first feeding or something like that - but not so much when they are eating regularly, and the activity can be mostly described with a couple of pictures.  If you know what I mean....   whistle

Oh, now I understand.   That would be great! ..........and thank you!..........and yes, I know what you mean.  lol

And thanks for reaching out to Chris.  She hasn't been on Facebook for a while, but isn't there much anyway, so that doesn't mean much.  Keeping fingers crossed that she's mostly just too busy to post.

Very odd, though as she usually replies within a day when I reach out.  Hope all is well.

Sherri

« Reply #6249 on: November 22, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »

Good news --- had reply from Chris (nightingale)..........she is OK, just busy.  bigsmile
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #6250 on: November 22, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »

Thank you Sherri, it's good you heard from Chris and that she is all right.  love

I see it's CLC's, gentlespirit's and ~Sage~'s birthdays and also Thanksgiving - wishing them and all of you in the USA a Happy Thanksgiving. A special time of the year for you all.  flower

hermit

« Reply #6251 on: November 22, 2017, 10:14:50 PM »

Thank you, Sherri. It's good to hear that Chris is OK.  bigsmile
Jwnix

« Reply #6252 on: November 22, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »

Thank you, Sherri. It's good to hear that Chris is OK.  bigsmile

Agreed....glad to know she is alright!!!  I remember many years she would post flu maps showing it cross the country and reminding us to get flu shots!!!  so, in her absence, here's a reminder to get flu shots if you do that!!! 

Happy thanksgiving!!

Josephine
PattiO

« Reply #6253 on: November 22, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »

Glad to know Chris is OK.  I got my Flu shot!! Smiley 

And Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!  I miss so many people that don't post anymore but and also thankful for those of us who still do! 
Sherri

« Reply #6254 on: November 23, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all.........hope everyone was blessed with a good day!
Pages:  1 ... 415 416 [417]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: