December 12, 2017, 02:38:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North American Osprey Satellite Tracking  (Read 45412 times)
bonbon

« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »

Sad news from Dr. B., posted on FB yesterday:
Well, the good news is that Shana is down in Florida (along with Layla). She's not showing up yet on the interactive map, but the map should show her down there tomorrow (Friday). The bad news is that we've lost Flow. Here's what we refer to as the "rectangle of death." When we see this over a several-day period, we know the bird is not moving. No idea what happened. I usually blame Great-horned Owls when we see a bird stop moving in a woodlot. The weather was perfect, so we can' blame that. Certainly no hunters around there, so I don't know what else it could be. It is a bit far from extensive forests, so not a spot one would really expect to see a Great-horned Owl, but...
It has been a tough 3 days--losing Staddler, Flow, and Tommy. I was expecting to lose some birds because of the weather, but I wasn't expecting to lose 2 birds over land in perfect weather.

(Also posted by Sherri on Essex thread.)

Bonnie
Sherri

« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »

Thanks Bonnie...........I am so sad.  Watched this baby from the time Ethel laid 'his' egg..........and Allyn and Ethel incubating.
...then to watch the miracle of this beautiful osprey hatch after 45 days!...........and watch his growth till fledging.  Then followed him
via satellite since 2014.
I can't begin to explain my sadness.   crying
bonbon

« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »

Thanks Bonnie...........I am so sad.  Watched this baby from the time Ethel laid 'his' egg..........and Allyn and Ethel incubating.
...then to watch the miracle of this beautiful osprey hatch after 45 days!...........and watch his growth till fledging.  Then followed him
via satellite since 2014.
I can't begin to explain my sadness.   crying

Oh My, Sherri...  I knew you followed Flow for a long time - didn't realize it was from 'egg.'     So sorry.... crying

Bonnie
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »

Thanks for posting, Bonnie and Sherri - and big hugs.  Flow spent a lot of time in Maine this summer, and I was really hoping he might settle down here and raise a family....  crying

He was quite the little miracle, wasn't he - hatching after we were sure it was too late, and wintering successfully in Cuba, which traditionally isn't the safest place for osprey - but he found what must have been a good spot, since he returned there last winter after his first trip North in the spring of 2016.  And I so wish the miracle had lasted longer.   brokenheart

Pages:  1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: