January 22, 2018, 09:18:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge  (Read 136128 times)
PattiO

« on: January 23, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »

Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge - Vian, OK

Cam Link: http://www.suttoncenter.org/live-bald-eagle-nest-camera/

New cam just recently added to the same page as the eagle cam at Sooner Lake.  Both cams are projects of the George Miksch Sutton Avian Research Center, Bartlesville, Oklahoma.  

The Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge main website is here: http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/sequoyah/index.html

I'm not currently seeing any mention of the eagle cam, but since it just came online I'm sure we'll get more information in the future.  From the website ...
2011 Eagles
Winter is an excellent time to see Bald Eagles as they prepare for their nesting season. Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge is home to a number of these nesting Bald Eagles; the most recent census showed a record of nearly 75 pairs utilizing the area.

The eagles are currently incubating 2 eggs that are due to hatch at the beginning of February.
Eggs laid: approximately December 27 - January 3 (there was an initial picture showing three eggs, and the last one was laid Jan 3; there are currently two eggs)

Map of Refuge location...

Another map posted on the Sutton thread by JudyB showing location of the Sutton nest and the Sequoyah nest.

Recent picture ...

Picture showing all 3 eggs:  photo courtesy of EagleGuy (Alan Jenkins) of the Sutton Center.
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »

I've been watching on and off for a couple of days, and have seen Mom (I think) contentedly incubating her eggs, and occasionally turning them, and rooting around to "fluff up" the nest underneath - but haven't actually seen much of Dad.  I just saw then change places - and got a look at the eggs!

Sorry the pictures aren't cropped very well - I was in a hurry to get all the action, and can't take the time to edit while I'm at work.

PattiO

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »

Thanks JudyB!  I took a few pics from work but haven't had time to upload them!  Nothing exciting though ... as they're always just sittin there lookin pretty!  Smiley Smiley
PattiO

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »

Managed to catch a quick egg roll.

PattiO

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »

Up for a stretch and roll .... Smiley

PattiO

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »

Well, when I checked Sequoyah up came 2 cams....

The weather has been bad but Mom looks OK, although she keeps calling for some relief.  Waiting to see if Dad shows up.

PattiO

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »

I've been watching for a little while... I think there may be a hatch happening, or happened.  Winds are gusting to 32 mph.  Temp is 16 with a wind chill of -2.  NOT a good day for a hatch!!   nope
PattiO

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »

We do indeed have a hatch!!!   nod2 bigsmile bigsmile

PattiO

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

Second adult came back in...

Proud parents! Smiley

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:36:25 PM »

Great pictures of the newest little one, Pattilove

Good to see a WA cam here as well - and I'm looking forward to a sunny day when I can actually see the nest!  bigsmile

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:00:04 AM »

Little one is looking good this morning - and there's actually some sunshine!  Golden1 on the Hancock forum reported a brief feeding - I saw both adults on the nest, but wasn't sure if the arriving adult had brought food.

PattiO

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »

Just when it's a crucial time ... the cams go down!   rolleyes2

3 February 2011: It seems that the extreme cold and/or the snow are causing some camera problems. They may well start working again on their own. If not, we will try to get to the sites next week. Last we are aware, one chick had hatched at the Sequoyah nest.
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »

Thanks for posting that, Patti!  Debs from the Hancock forum found a weather forecast, and it's supposed to get up to one below zero (F) by Saturday afternoon - that is cold!  The good news is that these seem very competent parents, and living in that climate, I'm guessing they have a nice cozy nest, so the little ones should be fine.   love

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 07:55:21 AM »

The cams are back up, and there's lots of snow but from what little I've been able to see, Mom looks to be covering a nice dry area, and it looks as if there are some leftovers sitting next to her - so I'm hoping all is well.  

I just checked the Sooner Lake site (http://www.suttoncenter.org/pages/live_eagle_camera) and they are reporting that the second egg has hatched and both chicks have been fed.

Cam is freezing from time to time - I'll watch for a while, and see if I can get a pic.

Added - 9:12 am Central time
Just got a peek:

Not clear from the picture, but I definitely saw one up and moving about, and think I saw the other in the split second the cam was clear.  Cam is still freezing and turning strange colors - not surprising considering how cold it is there.  Hopefully it will get better as it warms up through the day.

The WA cam is back now, too - and the Sooner Lake cams are also up and running, though more than a little frosty.  At least this clam is giving us a good view when it's streaming.

PattiO

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »

Just checking in myself JudyB.  I haven't gotten the close-up cam to come on yet.  They look to have more snow than they did the other day!  Gosh I wish it would warm up down there.
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: