March 29, 2024, 02:15:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technical Thread for Slideshows, Screenshots, Videos, GIF's, etc...  (Read 32016 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:01 AM »

I hope you won't miss any action, Tonya - do you mean when you're busy saving the screen caps? I'm so glad you're giing it a try - it will come back to you and you'll get quicker at it.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Windy60

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 10:22:56 AM »

Well, I can't figure how to grab my captures stored at Flickr and get them here.   puzzled2

Anybody know how Nerd does it?  I know he uses Flickr and have sent him a message.
I hope he didn't have to open a blog to do it.  I won't do that.

edited to add:  Got it
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »

Hi Windy60 and welcome to the Forum. It's nice that you joined here as well as posting on the BRI Ning site.

You asked how to grab your captures from Flickr. I noticed you have posted some images, so maybe you figured it out.

I don't use Flickr, but two things you need to know. One is "where" is your image stored and secondly, how to create the "hyperlink" to the image. Forums don't actually store images, they just link to them.

Once you have found the pathname to where your image is (and this can be done by right clicking, if you have a PC) on the picture and copying the long path name which usually looks something like "http://........ "

Paste that long address into the body of the message, but then enclose it in the tags for the image... i.e., [img ]........ [/img ] (without spaces)

1. Either highlight the whole address and then click on the little icon above the message window that is second from left on the second line down, next to the "YouTube" icon. This will enclose the address in the tags.

2. Paste the URL address and then add the tags yourself.. i.e., type [img ]http://whatever your URL is[/img ] (without spaces).

Ask if it still doesn't make sense.

Windy60

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »

I was right clicking all over the place there.   mhihi

At Flickr there is a share button on top to the left of the picture.  I just couldn't remember that.  There you can grab the link or copy and paste the HTML code. 
I like flicker for pictures because it keeps/shows the date the picture was taken.  Have yet to find that on Snapfish or Photobucket. 
Lori

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »

Bringing over the Firefox discussion so that it will be here for future reference and not muck up the Maine eagle thread.

Laura .. Once you have downloaded the Firefox browser you need to add-on the ad blocker.
Go to tools and add-ons or just add-ons depending on what view you have. And look for AdBlocker Plus.
Once you have it on just select the common list of exceptions. Also make sure that the "allow some non-intrusive advertising" box is not checked under filter preferences.
Here's a great video...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGm6NCJCm8I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGm6NCJCm8I</a>
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »

Lori, that was very helpful, thank you. I watched the video through also. It all took longer than expected because I could not find Adblock Plus in the Add ons. It turns out I have a very old version of FireFox, so first I upgraded, then was able to installe the blocker. Brilliant. I watched the video and learned a lot also.

I tend to use IE because I'm so familiar with it and also I hate tabbed windows. I like to Alt-Tab from one individual window to another and often have many windows open at once. I now have to find out if there is a way to have new windows rather than tabbed ones.

Thanks for taking the time to bring this discussion here and for giving me instructions.. very kind of you.

Lori

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 04:15:06 AM »

You're welcome Laura. I love Firefox and I will say that since I switched over, I never have to deal with viruses, etc. that I had with IE. As far as tabs go, If it's a bookmark that I'm opening, then I just right click on it and select 'open in a new window'. Isn't it nice not having any ads?  biggergrin2
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 04:53:25 AM »

Thanks Lori. I'm struggling to make it work the way I'm used to with IE. for example, sometimes there seems to be no way to refresh the page. For example, if I click on the link from the topic notification Firefox opens to the right page and post, but if I want to refresh the page, I can't. I don't understand why not.. there's no URL in the URL box to begin with. Grrrr I'll get used to it I suppose and yes, terrific not having adverts.

Lori

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 06:16:13 AM »

So you don't have the refresh arrow at all?

Can you do a refresh by hitting the F5 key?
I don't do the topic notifications and don't even know where that is.  lollol
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »

Not sure if it's relevant, but in Tools: Options: Tabs, you can set whether new windows open as windows or tabs.  I also hate tabbed browsing, so the first thing I do when I install Firefox on a new computer is turn tabs off!  (You can still choose "open in a new tab" if you're doing something that would work better that way.)

And it took me a while to realize that the little circle in the navigation bar was to refresh the page.  mhihi

PattiO

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:52 PM »

I love tabs!!  If I open more than one window it slows my computer down terribly!   nod2
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 03:53:06 AM »

Can you do a refresh by hitting the F5 key?
I don't do the topic notifications and don't even know where that is.  lollol

I rely on topic notifications  nod2 There's a button called "notify" top and bottom of each page. If you click on it, you subscribe to the topic and will receive an email every time there is a new post in the thread. You will receive only one email, even if there are 10 new posts - until you visit the thread - in which case, the next time there is a new post, you will receive an email notification. This is particularly useful for threads you want to keep an eye on, that are perhaps not updated frequently - once someone posts, you will receive a notification email.

I'm having problems  crying Firefox was working fine yesterday with the Adblock Plus. Today I did a Windows update, no idea what updated, but now I can't see the little red Adblock icon on the bottom left of the window where it was yesterday and the Maine cam won't load at all. The little circle spins forever in the middle of the screen. I tried disabling the Adblock and it still doesn't work. It does work in IE, though and of course with that annoying advertisement. It's so intrusive that even if you turn the volume off on the window, it overrides it and the Ad comes on loud and clear and frightens the life out of us as we think there's someone in the room!

I think it's working now with new windows for each window I open rather than tabbed windows, although occasionally I noted I have a couple of tabbed windows somehow. I just have to get used to it.

Yes, I get the circle arrow for refresh in the URL bar, but oddly enough, if I click on the link in the topic notification email, it opens up the browser window, but no address or refresh button is on the page and F5 doesn't refresh either. Often I will open a thread and read, then I want to refresh to see if anyone else has posted, but in that case, the option is not available. However, if I then move from one thread to another - the refresh button appears. Mysterious.

Ok.. one problem solved... I needed to update Flash... working on trying to get Adblock to work again...

I'm up and running now.. I had started in Safe Mode and had to get out of that to re enable Adblock - the icon is on the bottom left now and the cam IS working again - hooray - without any adverts.

Lori

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »

Laura .. So sorry to read of all the issues you're having but I'm glad that you have gotten them sorted out. That's strange, my red ABP button is top right on my browser next to my 'home' icon.

I am going to try the notify option to see how it works. I try to keep emails down so not sure I'll like that. I typically go to the bottom of the page and click on the 'show unread posts since last visit' or at the top of the page 'view the most recent posts on the forum'. That keeps me up to date with all the threads.  bigsmile
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 04:36:50 AM »

Just for the record, now I'm home again, I decided to try and make FireFox my default browser - it's going to take some getting used to, but if I can configure it to my liking then I see no reason not to use it.

I updated Adobe Flash as I got a message to do so. Then I upgraded to the latest FireFox. Sadly the Maine cams didn't work. All I could see was a black window and no little arrow to press to activate the cam. Scratching my head, I then did a bit of research and discovered a solution. That was to reinstall Flash after installing FireFox. He presto! It works  nod2 I've just noticed that my spelling is being checked as I type.. I didn't have that feature in IE - so that's another bonus - I guess it's a standard feature of FF?

My ABP Button is in my status bar, bottom left.

Did you try the notifications, Lori? They can drive you crazy - but I subscribe to 2 Forums and need to get updates when people post in some of the threads.

Lori

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 04:57:23 AM »

Laura .. So glad that you have Firefox up and running on your home computer too. It does take some getting used to but you will. I love it and will never ever go back to IE. Oh and yes, it does have the spell check feature as you type which I love.  bigsmile

I did try the notifications and then promptly unsubscribed from notifications too. lollol I understand your need for them but I prefer to check all the recent posts to catch up on the threads.
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: