April 26, 2024, 01:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Technical issues  (Read 35384 times)
willpatt

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

My printer is the only item where I phoned them and they walked me through a new download especially for windows 7. I have a high end Panasonic camera and a Sony Cyber-shot. The programs won't load. I can get the videos to load into windows 7 but after that I can't seem to do much else.

This windows 7 is a horrible mess anyway. Staples told me they would try to transfer the "stuff" from my broken xp to my new pc. The next day they called me into the service area to have a look. My new pc had appx 50 desk top short cuts. Well, they resemble the old ones but a lot of the short cuts got a new name puzzled2 exclamation The content could be anything from "the folder is empty" to something quite alien lollol

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
PattiO

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »

will ... you should try to find a 'private' computer person.  In my experience - they know much more than the folks who work at Staples and Best Buy.   rolleyes2
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »

I agree with Patti, but it's not always easy to find someone with the right knowledge and skills who you can both trust and afford. Most of us have to learn the hard way, by trial and error, with a bit of advice along the way. It's not easy and what I have learned is that no one knows everything. I wish I could pop over and help you, Will, I know how frustrating and confusing it can be.

I too prefer Windows XP and wish we never had to change, but then again wild horses had to drag me away from MS DOS.

Just keep posting here about issues you have and maybe one or another of us can come up with solutions.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
willpatt

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 08:41:33 PM »

will ... you should try to find a 'private' computer person.  In my experience - they know much more than the folks who work at Staples and Best Buy.   rolleyes2

Yes, I agree with both of you. I also mentioned private places to Staples. He said $500.00 would be the fee exclamation I believe that because it is a very tedious job to move everything from one pc to another. Staples charged me $50.00 but because their job on mine did not work well. they took the 50.00 off.

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
PattiO

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 10:08:22 AM »

Do you know of anyone you could ask  ... someone that could be recommended?  $500 is not always the case.  I have someone here - runs a legitimate computer business.  If you bring him a computer with a virus, he cleans it all up, fixes it, etc. for $150.00.
willpatt

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »

Do you know of anyone you could ask  ... someone that could be recommended?  $500 is not always the case.  I have someone here - runs a legitimate computer business.  If you bring him a computer with a virus, he cleans it all up, fixes it, etc. for $150.00.

Interesting Patti exclamation I will keep that in mind. Staples was probably exaggerating to make a point. Of course, moving all the data from an XP to a Windows 7 would use up a lot more hours. The systems are different and things tend to go haywire. Plus, my xp had some trojans and would not boot any more.

I just realized what is wiping out my pass words: Speedup My PC. Not supposed to but when it runs, it wipes out my cookies rant2 I'll try to fix that.

This link  http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-import-videos-into-windows-live-movie-maker.navId-323836.html
is supposed to solve my problem of moving my videos from my camera to my pc. So far the video didn't move but "VR_MANGR.BUP" and "VR_MANGR.IFO" did, so I might be on the right track puzzled2

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
willpatt

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »

This SpeedyPC Pro is getting to be a pain. The card number for my bank was getting wiped out, so I contacted servicing. They pointed me to a topic but not to which ones to disable. I found cookies in two places and disabled those. That fixed the bank problem but this AM the password for this forum was gone puzzled2 sosad What do you suppose I have to disable next question

Does anyone else have this SpeedyPC Pro or am I the only one who got stuck with it rant2

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
gemini

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »

My printer is the only item where I phoned them and they walked me through a new download especially for windows 7. I have a high end Panasonic camera and a Sony Cyber-shot. The programs won't load. I can get the videos to load into windows 7 but after that I can't seem to do much else.

This windows 7 is a horrible mess anyway. .....

Hi Will,  bigsmile

Long time no talk too! Hope all is well with you!

I just had the dubious pleasure of tagging about 2,000 pics in Windows Media Gallery on my friends new computer.  My first time using Windows 7! The most annoying feature of W7 for me was if I moved a window that wasn't full size to the top of my monitor, it would go full screen and I would have to shrink it again!  (BTW, my friend's cam is a Panny and the pics uploaded okay.)

The Panasonic programs you are referring to - are they Photo Fun Studio and Silky pix???  (My two cams are both Panasonics!) I have been thinking of upgrading from Vista (which as you know can be iffy!) to Windows 7 but between my experience with the tagging and your findings, I'm beginning to think maybe I should hold off until the next version. 

Cheers,
gemini
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 04:27:11 PM »

Windows 7 is actually quite stable, but it's always confusing moving from one operating system to another. I think I remember being very annoyed about the fact that windows expanded full size when all I wanted to do was move them. I cannot remember how I resolved it, but somewhere in the settings there is an option. It could be in the Control Panel settings. I wish I could remember where. Almost everything is configurable one way or another. I hate tabs for example, and I choose to have new windows open each time rather than tabs.

Will, I don't know what SpeedyPC is, so cannot advise. I've been fortunate to have been able to migrate from one old computer, one operating system, to a new one before the old one died, so I could take my time setting up the new computer whilst still using the old one. In your case you were forced to move and you were not able to save all the settings and things you were used to. Added to that, you lost links, probably some programs AND you had to learn a whole new operating system.

As I said before, and I know it's not much help, but I wish I lived closer and could sit with you and try to resolve the issues you have. Each one is a big headache for you and I'm sure your frustration grows.

I still don't know why you keep losing the password for the Forum other than to say - if you delete cookies, then you delete all memory of passwords - they are linked to the cookies. As long as you don't delete cookies, the passwords should remain. Having said that, it is a good idea to delete cookies and temporary internet files from time to time, just to refresh your systems.

I hope you resolve things..

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »

I don't know why you couldn't find it, Laura - she said with tongue firmly in cheek!  It' under

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use

and you need to put a check in the box before "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen"

I did find things like that quite frustrating when I first started using Windows 7 - but there are some things I really like - such as "Recent Places" which shows the last folders I've visited - very useful when I accidentally put a picture in the wrong folder and then can't find it.  mhihi

I was forced to switch when my old computer died - and wouldn't switch back even if it was possible!   (Reminder - do back up everything of value; thank goodness we'd just done a backup so I only lost a couple of days' data; external hard drives are getting cheaper all the time - and we store ours in a relative's house, just in case something happens to our house.)

willpatt

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »

This windows 7 is a horrible mess anyway. .....

Hi Will,  bigsmile

Long time no talk too! Hope all is well with you!

I just had the dubious pleasure of tagging about 2,000 pics in Windows Media Gallery on my friends new computer.  My first time using Windows 7! The most annoying feature of W7 for me was if I moved a window that wasn't full size to the top of my monitor, it would go full screen and I would have to shrink it again!  (BTW, my friend's cam is a Panny and the pics uploaded okay.)

The Panasonic programs you are referring to - are they Photo Fun Studio and Silky pix???  (My two cams are both Panasonics!) I have been thinking of upgrading from Vista (which as you know can be iffy!) to Windows 7 but between my experience with the tagging and your findings, I'm beginning to think maybe I should hold off until the next version. 
It's the program that came with the camera, Gemini. "DVD Palmcorder Software". VideoCam Suite 1.0. The camera is a model VDR-D50P. BTW, the videos will not load and the program will not load.

I have a Sony CyberShot. The program will not load but the pictures will provided I use Windows Movie Maker Photo (Something).

Time to walk Koby.

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »

I didn't say I couldnt find it Judyb, just that I could not remember where it was, too lazy to look and knew someone so smart, clever, intuitive, kind, thoughtful like you would come along and point us in the right direction  innocent thank you. I love XP and could probably I easily go back to it, but then I would realise all the amazing things about Windows 7.

I agree also about the importance of backing up. I bought a 2 terabyte external USBhard drive recently which cost me about the same as as 250Mb memory stick which I bought when they first came out. Yes they are expensive, but vital to back up photos, data and videos.

Will, if possible, just stick with Windows Moviemaker... If you can. It does just about everything you might need.

willpatt

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »

I still don't know why you keep losing the password for the Forum other than to say - if you delete cookies, then you delete all memory of passwords - they are linked to the cookies. As long as you don't delete cookies, the passwords should remain. Having said that, it is a good idea to delete cookies and temporary internet files from time to time, just to refresh your systems.

I hope you resolve things..

Laura,
Yes, I understand clearly that if I uncheck(disable) deleting passwords, then passwords will not be deleted. I found cookies in two places and disabled them. My bank card stayed put this time when I ran SpeedyPC Pro but my name and password went out of here exclamation

One of two things has happened:
1. There is another cookies somewhere.
2. My forum name and password are under something else besides cookies.

Servicing was no help to point me in the right direction. Guess I will have to do some trial and error.

ETA. Cookies, cookies, cookies exclamation I just found four more cookies, each under a different topic, so I disabled those for a total of six cookies. My XP had one. Anyway, this time I stayed logged in here nod2

Those SpeedyPC Pro people need to design the thing better so that one control switches all the cookies off or on at once. I am not going to search for six cookies everytime I want to clear them exclamation

And if I leave them all enabled, every time I run Speedy..., I will have to replace profiles all over the place rant2
The best thing is: Get rid of SpeedyPC Pro(A big headache exclamation)

SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »

What a lot of hassle, Will. I didn't even know there were different areas for cookies - I thought they were all stored in one place. Computers and how they operate will always be a mystery, I guess. Just as we become proficient at one opertating system, like XP, they go and "upgrade" it and everything changes. No one "expert" is going to have all the answers for you either and a lot of what you do is trial and error and you learn a lot on the way. I hope you've resolved the problems for now.

I keep a little text file on my text top (I use notepad) and in it I write down the date and nature of whatever problem I have with the computer or printer and how it's resolved. It has proved very useful. I have two issues no one seems to be able to fix for me, so I have to just live with them. I am still on an old version of Office and my email password in Outlook WILL NOT save - I have to enter it every time I open Outlook. I use Windows Live Messenger and that won't log me in automatically as I wish it to and as it used to. I have been trying to resolve this for about a year. It used to work and then stopped and no one seems to know why - so every time I start the computer I have to manually start Messenger and log in, username and passoword. Annoying.  nod2

nightengale

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »

I had issues with accessing the forum late this evening ... glad to see I can get on now thumbsup1

~Chris~ 
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world ~ John Muir

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: