March 28, 2024, 06:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 - First BRI Maine Eagles egg laid March 16, 2014. Second egg laid March 19, 2014.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Technical issues  (Read 35211 times)
Laurad
Administrator

« on: December 07, 2010, 03:06:08 AM »

This thread is for sharing other Technical issues than the Forum itself.

I have been having problems with the Maine Eagle Ustream cam continually buffering to the point that it's more often off than on. Actually it freezes and unfreezes, so I don't lose the picture, but I get 5 seconds on and then 5 seconds off, continually.

Someone suggested it might be a problem with my Flash version so I checked and it was the latest.. I then left a message on the Adobe Flash Forum and I was advised that my download speeds from my ISP might be at fault. They sell it as up to 10 Mbps, but it's rarely above 4 or at the most 5Mbps. Often when the internet is busy, it's down to about 2MBps which is not enough to watch the cam, it seems.

I thought I would just mention it here in case anyone else is having similar problems. You can find speed test websites on the internet to test your own broadband speeds.

.................................................. Expect the Unexpected...
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »

I have a very strange problem with Photobucket  crying and can't resolve it. I've even tried re-installing Flash to no avail. I don't have the Pro version and up until recently (maybe it's a Windows 7 problem) never had a problem uploading my photos.

I put all my saved captures in different folders on my computer depending on which nest they are, so for example I have a folder called Pictures and a sub folder called Maine Eagles. I have a lot of other folders on my computer and lots of other folders too, for Access programming documents etc.

When I click on Upload to upload a picture, I get the dialog box pop up where I can search my computer for the pictures/photos which generally are .jpg files. For some strange reason I do not see all my folders, just some of them and I cannot figure out why Photobucket would filter out other folders than the Pictures one. I sometimes have a graphic in another folder that I want to add, but cannot see it. The "File Type" says "Media" but that should not stop me opening folders on my computer to search.

If I use the "bulk uploader" then yes, I can see all my folders and files on my computer.. so why can't I see them when doing just one picture?

The other odd thing is I have a movie to upload, it's .avi - it's in the folder that the uploader CAN see, but it tells me there are no files to upload. It doesn't see the .AVI file.. is that not a suitable filename for Photobucket?

Just opened an account with YouTube and am having the same problem, so it must be something to do with my computer. The dialog window for uploading files is not showing all my files and folders. It's a mystery.

JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »

Since I switched to Windows 7, I can see a "my documents" folder - but it's not the new Documents folder in the Library that Windows 7 expects me to use.  Depending how you switched to Windows 7, you might also have this "ghost" documents file - which is indeed either empty or non-existent.

Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »

Hi Judy, and thanks. I'm getting to the bottom of this, sort of, but don't have a resolution. I'm beginning to think it's an Internet Explorer 8 issue. I thought it might have been a Flash problem so uninstalled and reinstalled Flash, no luck. Then thought it was a Photobucket problem, but when I set up a YouTube account, same problem, when I try to upload files - I cannot see all my folders and files and no, not the hidden ones either. I'm looking in the My Documents folder where there are about 8 sub folders, only 2 of them are showing up, which is really strange. I then tried with Firefox and sure enough I CAN see all the folders, just as I should do.

Boohoo..  crying I just don't have the time to resolve this.. it takes too long. At least I am narrowing it down to IE, I think and have a workaround of using Firefox.

In the meantime I discovered you can use your own FTP program to upload to Photobucket.. went through the procedure of setting it up, but that won't work either - it keeps telling me the username or pasword or something else is not right.. this is so frustrating. All I wanted to do was upload a 5 minute video of an exciting sequence on the Maine nest yesterday. I ended up putting it on one of my own sites. Just tried to upload it to YouTube only to find the upload failed for some reason.

What's the best file format for uploading to YouTube and Photobucket? I'm trying .AVI.

PattiO

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:17:01 AM »

Help help help!!!!!!!!!

Last night, on my home computer, I was installing an update for Quicktime.  In the midst of that a Windows Update popped up.... so, being my sleepy self at 12:00 A.M. I clicked 'install' without looking at what it was!!

It seems that I was updated from WindowsXP ... to Windows Vista ... Huh?Huh?Huh??

It changed my whole desktop ....... and ALL my Bookmarks are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   puzzled2 rant2 sosad

I went back and did a System Restore but had to leave it and go to bed.  This morning, it still looks the same!  

I didn't think it was possible to have your whole system changed like that with a simple update.   puzzled2 I'm lost now ... all my bookmarks. I don't know if it can be changed back!
CLC

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »

Can you do a system restore back to a day or 2 ago before you were hijacked? That usualy works..

Sir Lance  All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:35:08 AM »

Patti that's terrible and I've never heard of an update actually updating your version of Windows like that. Often things like data and favourites would be kept intact. If you go to My Computer and clcik on the C: drive, then Documents and Settings - then look at the options - depending on the profiles you have set up - look at "all users/favourites" and see if they are in there. Or if you have your own profile, look in your profile folder for the Favourites folder. I'm not sure exactly how it will be set up - it could all be in the folder "Application Settings".

As Chris said though, try to do a system restore, it often corrects most problems. I think I was running Quicktime and Windows updates yesterday too, but I'm on Windows 7.

PattiO

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »

Whew ...... well, thanks Chris & Laura.  Luckily my husband tried a System Restore again and it worked.  Don't know what I did wrong when I did it.  Back to the way it was now ... thank goodness!!  While I was at work he was looking through the computer and EVERYTHING was gone ... all my pictures, documents ...... everything!!   shock  So it's a real good thing the restore worked or I'd have a big mess on my hands!!
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 03:39:19 AM »

I'm so glad you're back to your original state. Quite often with upgrades you do not lose your data - it's there somewhere, it's just a case of finding it. I'm happy for you that you didn't lose anything. It also demonstrates why it's so important to back things up. I've never come up with a perfect way of backing up, but I do have a 250 Gig external hard drive that I copy things to occasionally. I have quite often had to go back there to retrieve something because it became corrupted, or I had deleted it by mistake.

PattiO

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 07:27:36 AM »

I used to always back up my documents onto a disc or a jump drive - but pictures are way too big for that and it just takes too much time to make cd's and what not.  I'm just glad it was all there!!
JudyB
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »

Glad that all worked, Patti!   bigsmile

I don't do it as often as I should, but like Laura I have a couple of large external drives (you can get fairly large ones for around $60 these days) - and I have a another external drive that we keep in a closet at Charlie's Mom's house, in case something happens to our house.  It's not something I like to think about - but because the drive at Charlie's Mom's was a complete backup of my files in one place, I lost very little data when my computer died this fall.  I did need to reinstall all my software (and upgrade a number of programs from XP to Win7) - but it could have been so much worse.

Lori

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »

Another Photobucket issue...
I have a new one that just started recently and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it off. After I upload pictures, I always go into the editor to do stuff to them... autofix, resize etc.... Now all of a sudden, after each and every picture I edit, I get a pop up box that looks like this:

I have to wait for it to load and then I have to x out of it to go on to the next picture. It's aggravating the heck out of me. I used to be able to just hit the next button after each one and could get through my picture editing pretty quickly in the past. I've looked at all my settings and I can't find anything on this.
You would think PB would have a little box to tick to not show this box in the future but no........ rant2
Has anyone figured it out yet?

ETA--- I always use Firefox as my browser and have just discovered that in IE I don't get that pop up box so it's another Firefox issue with PB.  puzzled2  rant2
PattiO

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »

OK ... is someone playing around with the Forum?Huh?

I had a couple tabs open ... when I clicked back to the forum, this is what it looked like!

ETA - after browsing through a number of different threads ... and cams ... I clicked back to the forum and it was back to normal.
Laurad
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:20:24 AM »

Following on from the Maine Eagle thread...

Quote from: Willpatt

I don't know what happened with this windows 7. I have two expensive cameras that worked perfectly with my xp pro but they are incompatable with windows 7  I've been doing lots of testing, so anything could have happened. Upgrades came in as well.

Computers!!  rant2 Windows 7 is great, but unfortunately so many things are not compatible, printers, camera software, you need to check the small print on the software and devices. I have an old HP Deskjet Printer, not compatible, so I had to ditch it even though it works. I have a webcam - perfectly fine, had to ditch it because it's not compatible. It does make me mad that when they update/upgrade that they don't make it so everything works. The latest Internet Explorer is V9, but I think you should upgrade to at least Version 8

PattiO

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »

Laura ... I would think you would have been able to download a new driver or something for the printer.   puzzled2  Too late now I guess though.  I hate that they keep changing Windows.  I'm still on XP and will keep it that way as along as I can!
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: